Perishing propane hosing

Started by cbeadies, May 28, 2012, 10:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbeadies

I've just noticed that the bit of the propane hosing that stays outside - the short piece from the canister to the quick release connector - is looking worn and cracked on the surface, I guess has perished after over 2 years outside in all weathers (although usually covered) .

Has anyone else had to replace this, was it easy to do? I am wondering whether to try and do it myself, feeling a bit nervous about re-connecting the flashback arrestor and the regulator  ???
Or maybe if I send it all back to Martin and ask him nicely (and pay, of course) he would fix it all together again with new hosing....?? :-\ :-\

cbeadies

thanks Kay, did you get the hosing / fittings from a local gas supplier?

Blue Box Studio

Not been to investigate but when I wanted to get the new hose onto my Minor I asked my local heating engineer who charged an arm and a leg, then said I should have gone to Weston Hose who'd have probbly done it for free.  So might be worth a call to Weston Hose.

Think this is them http://www.yell.com/b/Western+Hose+and+Industrial-Hoses+and+Flexible+Pipes-Weston_Super_Mare-BS249AY-879508/index.html
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

cbeadies

Thanks Kay.  And Sue, thank you for the link too, I will check that out.

dangerousbead

I questioned this with Martin and he said that the outside rubber does craze a bit with the weather but the tube is very thick and the inside tube is made of sterner stuff. No idea how you would test that though.

dinah46

Mine started leaking in just the same place, between reg and quick release.  I took it to my gas supplier and he very kindly changed it over and only charged me for the new fitting it needed as the old one had to be cut off, less than £4 - bargain :D

sea-thistle

Mine looked crazed on the outside a bit, as Martin rightly says there is tubing is thick and inside this there is tubing which is made of  a even tougher material. I had my propane hose for 4 years before I changed it. Husband put new one on, but looked at the old one and said it's still ok! I don't live by the sea.Husband has also made something to cover the small piece of hose between the cylinder and the shed, to protect the hose from the elements.   

Redhotsal

It's not necessarily being by the sea - it's more to do with the UV in the sunlight which breaks down the plasticisers in the hosing. I replace mine when they start to get brittle and thecracking starts to appear - if you look closely at the hosing you'll probably find an expiry date printed on it (seriously). This is a guide rather than than an absolute and yes, they certainly don't last as long when they're out in the elements. The man from Gildea welding shop in Leicester always does mine and they don't charge an extortionate fee.

Bottom line is: if you have any doubts at all about your hosing don't put up with it - get it replaced even though it's inconvenient and you'll lose precious glass time - as it's gas at the end of the day and you shouldn't take even the slightest risk with it.

sea-thistle

Yes there is an expiry date on the hose, I remember my husband saying that. Yes UV light as well will break down the plasticisers in the hose. I'm lucky I'm in the shade of a cherry tree ;)

kerensky

I have a jewellery torch that a local gas suppler fitted to the hose for me, they offered to do it for free when I bought the gas canister and hosing.

Guess what ?  it leaked, so I removed it and refitted it myself properly and then tested it with some gas leak spray, good as new now.

Margram

Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog