Product Liability

Started by soulsilver, May 24, 2012, 09:22:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soulsilver

I have recently been looking at my insurance, most of the packages aimed at crafters cover you for product liability. I have looked a bit further into this and product liability only covers the EU, has anyone ever had anyone claim against them from outside the EU? apparently its practically impossible to get cover for the US etc.
I am really just looking to see what other peoples experience of this is, my insurance broker has told me that its more likely that an individual will claim rather that a corporation or group. Is there anything that could be written into listings to absolve you of liability if sending stuff outside the EU?

Thanks

Lotti

Looking at mine it says that you are covered under UK Law as you made the product in the UK, at least that is what I read it as saying!

soulsilver

I guess the question then becomes: what is the UK law when it comes to products sent outside the EU?!

Lotti

Well if you were sued from someone outside of the EU it would have to be done in a UK court.  I am sure there is someone that knows more about this than me, but that was/is my understanding, be interesting to see what others think.

soulsilver

Thanks Lotti, do you mind if I ask who yours is with?

Lotti

Of course not. a-n (AIR).  Not sure who you have yours with, but here is a link.  http://www.a-n.co.uk/

soulsilver

Thanks, I will look into it :) I am with GM Imber at the moment

Blue Box Studio

Mine's with Ian Wallace and they cover me for a limited number of sales to the US - the policy is with Aviva, but they apparently can extend it if they feel it is appropriate.  I'm not sure there is anyone (at the sort of money we could probably afford) that would cover worldwide sales as a matter of course and without discussion/negotiation.  The only stipulation they made was that I had to state on selling sites that all sales were subject to UK law and increase my cover to £5million.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

soulsilver

Thanks for all the input guys x