MONTHLY COLOUR CHALLENGE - MAY/JUNE 2012 WINNER NOW UP!!!

Started by Kaz, May 19, 2012, 10:24:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaz

The colour of the month challenge is jointly sponsored by Off Mandrel (thank you Sean and Gillian!) and Frit Happens!

Each month the lucky winner, chosen by a random number selector, will receive a £20 gift voucher to spend on-line with Off Mandrel. The draw will take place at the end of JUNE so make sure you get your entries in to be in with a chance to win the goodies!

A reminder that the entries should be new work.

So, the colour for the month for MAY/JUNE 2012 is REICHENBACH IRIS ORANGE (RAKU). Come on let's see your creations!

Good luck!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

jammie

Will raku frit count or only by the rod?

Blue Box Studio

I hope the frit!  I've a big pot of Kaz's raku frit that came in one of the boxes of goodies I bought when some people decided to give up lampworking - and if things don't go poo on me, I think I might have colours :) :) :)
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Shirl

Kaz

Rod, frit, powder - whatever you have!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

helbels

I had a brave go earlier with stringer from the rod... looked fairly pooish when it went in the kiln - I only seem to get colours from the frit.  Still nonetheless I shall valiantly show my effort for all to chuckle at when it's done!

BeeBeads

Could someone kindly remind me of the best way to treat raku frit?  Is it get it really hot, then blow on it?  ???
Thank you!

Purple Cobwebs

Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Blue Box Studio

Blowing on it seems to be the secret, and whacking it around a bit seemed to help.  Well, I had colour going into the kiln so hopeful of colour coming out.  This will be a first - tried some iris gold frit and it didn't work so put that away and went back to the iris orange whilst I was on a high :)
Sue

Magpie

I saw the colour, honest. Before I encased it was dark brown with highlights of dark blue/purple. Then I slapped some clear over it (with other strikers that I've played with that's what has done it), unfortunately although I have lots of colours they're pretty pale. The 'flowers' kept their colour though.

Raku beads by HelenPetersBeads, on Flickr

So then I made a button! Much better, no blowing, but lots of layers so in and out of the flame, but didn't get too dripping.

Raku button by HelenPetersBeads, on Flickr

dangerousbead

Great. I bought a fresh batch of rods AND powder today.

GaysieMay

Great button Helen! 

I've had a play today - Kev said who are you waving at (I sit at our dining room window to torch) no one said I, just cooling me frit!  ;D
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

Blue Box Studio

First couple out of the kiln this morning, I'm quite pleased with these :)  Wish I could get those lavenders and pinks though.

DSCN6303 by Blue Box Studio, on Flickr

DSCN6305 by Blue Box Studio, on Flickr
Sue

helbels

They're lovely Sue

I only had a teeny thin rod to play with, so just one lentil from me (front and back).... a slight hint of blue in places, but not much!

017 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

018 by Alchemy Lampwork, on Flickr

Blue Box Studio

What does the rod look like?  I've a lot of beige rods with no labels.  Has it a core of a different colour, any distinguishing features?
Sue