Do you stand up to work?

Started by Kimster, May 15, 2012, 06:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimster

Hope someone can help me on here... I'm absolutely loving playing about with my torch, & occasionally coming up with some "beads", but I absolutely can't bear sitting for a long time! (do lampworkers end up with enormous bums?!!  ;) ;)) If you do stand, do you find you need arm rests etc? And what sort of height would you suggest fixing the torch ? (Minor arriving for my birthday next week, can't wait! :D) Would really appreciate help & advice!

Margram

My bench is quite high (an old school science bench) and I mainly stood up to torch for the first few weeks, partly because I was so nervous of pinging glass, I kept jumping back on my stool and nearly falling off! ::) I have a bar stool now and sit down nearly all the time (apart from when I am heating something risky). The science bench has a comfortable bar underneath to rest my feet on. As for using arm rests - I leant against my shedio door frame if I needed a bit of precision with stringers etc. Oh, and I have to get up between beads to put them in the kiln and to choose more glass, and then there are trips indoors to get a cup of tea and another biscuit (shhh! ;D)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Lotti

Exciting news about the minor, you will love it, I lurve mine. :)  There are quite a few folks who stand, but I sit (I already have a bit bottom and need to take the weight off!  :o ;D ).  I do get up quite frequently though, try not to sit for more than an hour (my eyes get tired and you shouldn't sit for too long anyway).  Hope you find the best postion for you. :) :)

julieHB

I suffer from a weak back, and I stand almost all the time. My bench is about 90cm high. That means that the torch is situated at/just below elbow level, and I can keep my shoulders relaxed (I tend to hunch them up if I am sitting for long).

I do have arm rests (the creation station), which I use when doing detail work etc., either by leaning a bit forward, or sitting down on my bar stool.

Julie xx

My Webbie - My Flickr

lampworklover

I sit. And I am absolutely not commenting on the size of my bum ;D ;D ;D

BeeBeads

I sit.  My bum demands it.   :D

sparrow

I sit for beads, but just made 400 glass hairs standing up, and loved it! They were too long to handle sitting down, and I was boogying like a sillybilly  ;D ;D
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

SueP

I always stand - my bench is kitchen unit height - I guess I have quite a steady hand but have a foil covered loo roll which I very occaisionally use as a wrist rest  ;D

BTW I have a large bum but am counting calories - today I have counted 2000 of them and still finding more ;D

Jellybean

Quote from: Kimster on May 15, 2012, 06:44:56 PM
Minor arriving for my birthday next week, can't wait! :D)

;D That didn't take you long! Hope it's all going well!

Kimster

Thanks everyone! Sounds like a worktop height thingy & bar stool seems a good option. Now for the kiln...better get rinsing!!!  ;D ;D

Kimster

Also - silly question - how do you do that getting a quote in a reply like jellybean has done below? Hi Jellybean!  :)

BeeBeads

Look to the right of the page, level with the heading of the post.  You'll see "Quote".  Click on it and that post will appear in the reply box ready for you to type underneath.

Kimster

Quote from: BeeBeads on May 15, 2012, 10:56:51 PM
Look to the right of the page, level with the heading of the post.  You'll see "Quote".  Click on it and that post will appear in the reply box ready for you to type underneath.
[/quote
Hey! Thanks Bee Bee Beads  ;D

Kimster

Duh! Did it wrong...how come I got my reply in the quote? :-\ must be way past my bedtime...