Broken bracelet

Started by cbeadies, May 05, 2012, 06:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbeadies

I have been making simple lampwork jewellery for myself and friends for a couple of years now and never had any that have broken.
  :(  I recently made four bracelets for a lady at work and she was delighted.  She told me yesterday that one had broken when her teenage daughter got it caught on her coat, I will of course re-make it or refund her, but I am now feeling less than confident in my abilities!  :-\

I was using beadalon (or similar) and crimps/ covers/ wire guardians. I think I am quite careful when making, and always check all is secure. The beads came off the wire so I can only assume that one of the crimps gave way as I don't think the wire would snap.
Do you jewellery makers use two crimps for extra strength? Or do you have any other tips on ensuring that this doesn't happen?

thanks!  :)

Blue Kiln Beads

I have found once or twice that the crimp has been damaged by over zealous squashing but if you have done a little tug test once the bracelet is made you have found that out.  I'm not sure if it can happen to Beadalon but I have found tigertail can snap if is has got a kink in it.

That's my contribution I suspect someone a little more experienced might be able to shed more light.....
Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

Redhotsal

I always use Tiger tail and two crimps. Belt and braces woman, me!  ;D

squirsygirl

I would offer to remake it for her, but not refund her. She caught it on her coat, that wasn't your fault.

K

SueP

If jewellery didn't break sometimes you would get a broken or cut wrist or be strangled in the event of it catching ( in my opinion) - :) it has happened to me before and down to the item catching on something, so I just explain that it is a built in safety feature to avoid accidents  - I use one crimp but the tornade style - wouldn't worry at all and restring cos that makes you a super nice seller  :)

cbeadies

Thanks for the replies, I feel better about it now! I will remake it for her and make sure I use two crimps in future just to be on the safe side. I have spoken to a local craft / gift shop recently and will be taking some items in for them to see, so need to make sure they are well made.

Sue P, what is the tornade style and where do you buy them? Are they more secure? Off to google..... :)

SueP

Sorry bad spelling they are tornado crimps and have like a built in twist which in my opinion makes them more secure  ;D got mine from the silver corporation but they are widely available  :) and always pass the "tug test"  ;D

firedinglass

I once had a lady return a necklace after 5 yes 5 years!!!! Her husband said she loved it so much could i repair it.  As it was through an artists guild i felt pressure to do so and did ,free of charge but said that i would be unable to do so again.  I would not have done so if it hadn't been through the guild.  It's impossible to tell how someone treats an item but, i now think a few months is about the limit to replace or repair.   :),

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

ARBeads

I double crimp the wire and then add an open jumpring somewhere, hoping it's the jumpring that gives way when customer is trying to garotte themselves!

I do the same with bracelets, then it's a quick easy repair job and doesn't leave someone on there hands and knees trying to pick up beads.
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

cbeadies

??? Just got the item back to re-make...to my surprise the ends are intact but the beading wire (Beadalon Flexrite 0.18 49 strand) frayed and snapped in the middle. :(
I can see that the nylon coating is worn away at frequent intervals all along the wire, can't decide if it is where the little swarovski bicones were on it, either side of the lampwork beads,  or some cheap-ish round silver plated spacers I also used...maybe they are the culprits!

Either way, I am wondering whether I need to use a different wire that is less likely to fray. I think I will look for some different spacers too.
Oh well, all a learning curve! But I don't want to sell jewellery until I can be confident in its durability.  :-\

ARBeads

Never had that happen, though it does sound like the spacers may be the culprits, both the lampwork and Swarowski are solid beads where as the spacers are probably hollow and may have sharp innards that have chafed at the Beadalon. Also when you threaded the beads did you leave a small amount of play to allow the beads to move when the bracelets curved - the beads should still rotate easily when worn. Apart from that I've no other suggestions.

Don't worry about your customer she's probably very impressed with the service she's getting, remember most costume jewellery brought is classed as disposable nowadays and ends up worn once and then's left in a draw somewhere. She's more likely to return to you for more and appreciate your skill (pay more) if she knows you're approachable if there's a problem. Fantastic personal customer service.

Don't let this hiccup knock your confidence

Ruth xx
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Krysia@No98

Quote from: cbeadies on May 12, 2012, 10:57:09 AM
??? Just got the item back to re-make...to my surprise the ends are intact but the beading wire (Beadalon Flexrite 0.18 49 strand) frayed and snapped in the middle. :(
I can see that the nylon coating is worn away at frequent intervals all along the wire, can't decide if it is where the little swarovski bicones were on it, either side of the lampwork beads,  or some cheap-ish round silver plated spacers I also used...maybe they are the culprits!

Either way, I am wondering whether I need to use a different wire that is less likely to fray. I think I will look for some different spacers too.
Oh well, all a learning curve! But I don't want to sell jewellery until I can be confident in its durability.  :-\

Could the stuff have frayed in the zip?

I use the Beadsmith stuff. (and double crimp - now  ::) ) I made a necklace and it broke in my pocket before I got it to the person it was intended for, when I looked at it the wire had just snapped with no force being applied to it. 

I really don't think you should question your abilities some times these things just happen, you just need to learn from them and move on.  I now tug test my wire before I make it into anything
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-