General risk assessment for a show

Started by Lotti, May 04, 2012, 06:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

Following on from Jo's question about risk assessments for demos (which makes sense) I have just been asked to do one for just having a table in the craft tent for an agricultural show!  Now I used to do RA's ALOT and used to teach them (sorry just picked up on Jo's post after Sal had responded), but for the life of me I am having problems thinking of risks just having a table!  Will have to do some self brainstorming (apologies if anyone doesn't like that word)!  I suppose one of my acrylic busts could fall over on someones foot (mine are stuck down with blue tak or rocks as they fly away at my outside market!).  Tripping over the table leg, but no idea what to do about that! Pulling the table cloth off (?????) mine are pined in place.   Anyone ever had to do one for just having a table at an event or anyone got any ideas of what might constitute a risk from just having a table (haven't got heavy display materials and I don't make paperweights!). :) :)

The Tartan Trout

I've been asked to do them lots. Some I have filled in. No idea what I put. Others I havnt and I have never not gotten my pitch because of it. Just be sensible. I'm sure you can work it out :)

Blue Box Studio

I think as you say, cloth being pulled off, someone tripping over cloth edge, tripping over lighting cables, bust falling on someone, someone choking on a bead (idiots abound) with the risks all being negligible.  I've never been asked to do one, perhaps between us we can come up with something generic that we can amend for our own needs?  It's been years since I've had to write one (for the day job) and the ones I did write were about losing young people over a cliff edge, drowning in a canoe etc; nothing particularly relevant!
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

ARBeads

Do a very generic one and add the statement that all are reviewed at the fair as all places are different.

Typical things - trailing leads (electrocution hazard, trip hazard), removal of rubbish(firehazard, trip hazard), Safety of electrics (electrocution hazard) Ingress of water from marquee (electrocution hazard, trip hazard) Condition of table (crush hazard), suitability of table covering (fire hazard, trip hazard) Stand suitability (Crush hazard, Strain hazard from extended reach)

Rememder RA covers you as well as public.

Most organisers haven't got the foggiest themselves and are just ticking boxes to cover themselves namely passing the buck.

Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Lotti

Thanks folks, will do one and maybe do see if we can do a sticky on it as I get the feeling these are getting more prevelant.  My old ones were mostly about office risks, cables etc.  Also used to teach project management risk assessment, don't get me started, surfice to say some were quite fun to do and quite 'wierd'! :)  Gotta include my insurance too which is fine, am finding quite a few markets don't ask and it's ones that you don't expect that do ask! :)

Pauline

maybe you ought to include risk of dehydration from drooling over beads

squirsygirl

Children swallowing beads?

Adults swallowing beads - some are a bit strange....

K

Lakelady

Quote from: faith on May 04, 2012, 08:59:25 PM
Actually I think the biggest hazzards from fairs are:

a) choking the life out of idiotic people who make daft comments
b) dying of boredom when nobody turns up

::)

That did make me laugh-so tru too ;D 

At a market last week a little kid picked up one of my beads and almost popped it in his mouth - while the mother looked on.....There are so many cretins out there  :o
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Sarah

One fair organiser told me that all he needed in an RA was:

1 - The table  cloth will be pinned or weighted so that it can't blow off & it will hang above ground level so that no one can trip over it

2 - All boxes/storage will be under or behind the table so that nobody can trip over them

3 - All electrical leads will be PAT tested (this is normal) and the leads will be taped over so that nobody can trip over them or get a shock

It works for me

Sarah
xxx

Redhotsal

Exactly!

The biggest risks, if you are not demo-ing are trip based hazards - so making sure nothing is loose and flapping and having no cables lying around is a thing to look out for. Also - do think about your "access and egress" (ability to get into and out of your demo area) so that you could leave quickly if required.
I admit - these things are usually an exercise in fulfilling the insurance requirements, but are still a worthwhile thing to do, if just for your own peace of mind.

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: faith on May 04, 2012, 10:54:23 PM
I think I am a pillock magnet!

Only on the days when I'm not at a fair.  I shall now be agreeing with people who tell me that you cannot melt glass, else your Pyrex casserole would melt in the oven and yes, my beads are wonderful, because 'they have holes in them'! (apparently a marble is more than a bead without holes)

[DH1 and I were once sued because dimwit mother had given a wooden 'pebble' keyring to teething baby and baby had got a splinter in his mouth.  Thankfully we had insurance and it didn't get farther than lawyers arguing but I suspect ours won when he said to the other that you 'could not legislate against idiots'.  I treasured that copy letter for years  ;D ]

One fair I do insists all electrical things are PAT tested - when I showed the insistent organiser my PAT testing book she just looked at the cover and muttered something then walked off - as far as I can work out I am the only person who bothers getting anything PAT tested at that fair.

I also do one fair where I should be shown their risk assessment - trailing cables, trailing leads (not PAT tested) plugged into more trailing leads etc.  When I mentioned it once they told me H&S had gone mad, about 5 minutes before the mains fuses blew!  Divine intervention?
Sue

Redhotsal

Hmmmm....sounds familiar.

Though I really think that PAT testing and Risk Assessing are good things and I have been asked for them beforehand at all the events I have been to, in the last three years, I can categorically say that NO ONE has EVER come round and asked me for any of the following:

a) Public Liability Insurance
b) PAT testing certificates
c) Risk Assessment Sheets

In fact - you are lucky to even see an individual who is part of the organiser group. I only ever see an "official" person right at the end when they come around with bin bags to put your rubbish in!

chipperpottery

I do one for most of my shows, just generic cloths, leads, table .

Lotti

;D ;D ;D ;D

After a good night's sleep and your thoughts, it all seems quite simple now, bit tired last night.  The boxes one is a good one, shall add that!  No electrics on this occassion so it is just table cloth, boxes and falling busts!  Just had our big extension lead PAC tested and certified for a big show we lent it to and then I went and broke the plug so it will have to be done again (dippy Lotti!).

I agree about some organisers needing to show us their risk assessments though!

Have to say that I have been quite lucky with organisers so far, either becuase they are friends or because they are small regular markets and I went to meet the organisers before starting there (apart from the Christmas markets but in all cases the organisers came round to say hello before we started to make sure all was OK!)..  These agricultural shows will be a new ball game, but am only doing two little ones this year!

Thanks for all your help and hopefully this has been useful to others faced with the same thing for the first time (in a craft sense anyway). :) :)

Blue Box Studio

Sue