to buy or not to buy prescription didys

Started by firedinglass, May 03, 2012, 08:49:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charli

My prescription didys are fab! I love being able to torch for longer than 40 minutes and non incur a massive headache from all the glasses-weight resting on my nose!

Mine were 150 pounds, from here: http://eyesright.co.uk/, its not on their website, you'd have to email them.

JaySpangles

I wear normal did days with a pair of cheapo reading glasses on the end of my nose.  I have a few pairs round the house and tried them all until I found a pair I liked but it works well for me.

marijane

My vision has got worse during my long break from lampwork, I have tried cheap reading glasses under didys, but they were very uncomfortable.  I have just bought the stick on lenses from Tuffnels and they do the trick very nicely.  Hopefully they will pass the test of time.

Mari

Pat from Canvey

I wear varifocal lenses all the time but bought a cheap pair of reading glasses onto which I put clip on didys. I tied some elastic on the arms to stop them sliding down my nose. I don't have space to use a didy shield on my workbench.

spexy

I was fine with a pair of didy's in front of my glasses but my variafocal prescription changed recently and I couldn't see close up. So I got a pair of reading glasses which work fine, but they are a bit heavy and I am finding the weight of two pairs of glasses on my nose is very uncomfortable. Like you I am debating whether to go for prescription glasses or not. My optician quoted me £150.

CelticGlass

Quote from: Pauline on May 03, 2012, 08:20:40 PM
having been a lifelong spectacle wearer with very poor eyesight I took the plunge last june and had intra optical lense replacements (like a cateract op, but done for short sight) and my replacement lenses were multifocal, so I no longer need glasses for distance or close work,  and I only need ordinary didys.  Its much more expensive than prescription didys but the freedom after years of heavy glasses is amazing.  Ray Skene had the same op.

3 years on and my eye intra-ocular lenses continue to improve.... eyes like a hawk....  ;D

Blue Box Studio

I'm also a life long specs wearer but wear the fit over diddys.  I have got used them sliding down my nose but at first fitted an adjustable specs cord - the kind sportmen wear with the toggle that tightens at the back of the head.  Only I took it off to show someone and seem to have left it behind, somewhere?

Not sure my eyes would be suitable for the ops, my prescription varies every time I see the optician, but the thought of being conscious whilst my eyes were done horrifies me.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Redhotsal

Quote from: CelticGlass on October 13, 2012, 05:49:13 PM
Quote from: Pauline on May 03, 2012, 08:20:40 PM
having been a lifelong spectacle wearer with very poor eyesight I took the plunge last june and had intra optical lense replacements (like a cateract op, but done for short sight) and my replacement lenses were multifocal, so I no longer need glasses for distance or close work,  and I only need ordinary didys.  Its much more expensive than prescription didys but the freedom after years of heavy glasses is amazing.  Ray Skene had the same op.

3 years on and my eye intra-ocular lenses continue to improve.... eyes like a hawk....  ;D

I've often wondered about this but was worried about the results. Can I be cheeky and ask how much roughly you had to pay and where you had it done? Also - I was always warned that your night vision suffers from glare or "halos" around lights, especially when driving at night - do you get this? Mind you - I don't know why I'm worried - I'm almost a liability with varifocals at night!

oliver90owner

I pondered on the didymium glass screen (£125 at Tuffer's).  Only one set of glasses and can see clearly all around the rest of the area.  OK, I got the el cheapo's (if they can be called that) in the end.  I will look for some didymium glass and frame it myself if I find some at the right price.  Welding shops - here I come.

The screen does seem to me to be a good solution and no need for another £150 should the eyesight alter.