Lentil press problems

Started by awrylemming, May 01, 2012, 04:16:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaz

Can't work out what the problem is. These beads were made with that press. It is a particularly good S/S lentil press IMHO and I use mine all the time.

IMG_0488 by Kaz ~ CheekyCherubDesigns, on Flickr

IMG_1149 by Kaz ~ CheekyCherubDesigns, on Flickr
It's not like a coin press where you get a straight hole; it's intended to be notched.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Madam Steph

I still think we are using too much glass in them.
Kaz's are lean and crisp.
I will hopefully get some torch time tonight - I'll try less glass

L x

awrylemming

My zoozii straight sided lentil press always gave a straight hole, so I assumed that anything named SS Lentil would give the same shape.  Actually, I've tried a couple of other makes, all of which gave a straight hole.  I personally dislike the indents, and when I used to buy lentils for jewellery, always avoided them, this has carried through as a beadmaker.  I've tried the coin press, but feel that is far too flat, I do like the domed shape of the lentil.  I have the same very thin ridge on the lentils I made with them, the zoozii was a deeper edge, which I liked, but too small, so I bought this, thinking I'd get the same shapes and lack of indents, but nice big lentils.
Back to the drawing board.  Might try Spheres of Glass.  :)

Kaz

Horses for courses I guess. I sell loads of this shape. I hate straight edges personally  ;D
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

Josephine

I like the shape. My only problem with it is that sometimes when I press I can't get the top part of the press off, it seems to stick which I've never had with another press. Not sure why although I don't think the pins are as graduated as on the zoozii presses which could be a factor. It drives me mad when it happens, the air is blue as I try and prise it off with my razor tool before the beac cracks.

awrylemming

Yep, just a personal taste thing, it's a lovely press, I just thought I was buying a larger version of a press I really liked, and I didn't.  Hey ho.  And lol, Josephine, I had that too!  I was shaking it by the handle faffing and cussing - and I didn't even warm this press, I only stick the bigguns on the kiln  ::)

Kaz

It sticks when the bead is a perfect fit. Instead of wrangling with it, just wait a couple of seconds for the glass to shrink back slightly and then calmly remove the top part! ;D
If your presses get difficult to prise apart use a little candle wax just on the locator pins.
Kazx

Josephine

Thanks for that Kaz. I nearly threw the thing out of the window the other day!

MadelineBunyan

isn't it interesting what we all like/dont like or find acceptable/unacceptable?

I used to think I liked a normal lentil shape,that was until I realised it is a physical impossibility to have it so that when you look at the face of the bead it is a complete circle, it will always have those little notches, and I dont like 'em! went right off it and sold my non ssl press (my first ever press), thought it was me! didnt buy another press for 2 years or more!

as a jewellery maker I guess as long as the notches are even on both sides, not too big, and not bitey or chipped then its ok. but I still prefer my lentil (or in fact any circular) beads to look circular face on.

What about the cattwalk button?

MyPrecious

I have the Cattwalk button and get on very well with it. I don't get the notches on either side so the beads are perfectly circular.
Kathy

My website

awrylemming

I thought either the Catwalk or the Perlenpresse, both are indentation free.  The Catwalk needs a base though, doesn't it?

jammie

I have this one too and like the indented ends. But for it sticking I filed the holes slightly that the pins go into and it never stuck again!

awrylemming

Well, I no longer have this one, it's wending it's way to a new home tomorrow.  I think I'll be ordering from Perlenpress in the morning.  ;)

ARBeads

I spoke to Maria Louise at Flame off about my press 'sticking' after making one or two lentils, she advised lightly filing the top holes. Seems that on the earlier models the tolerance was a bit tight and the presses expand slightly when warm.
Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

MadelineBunyan

There is one thing I dont like about the perlenpresse one though, the one I have, the straight sided 18, 22, 26 mm, they are all 10mm thick, so the little one is chunky, with a wide straight side, and the largest appears proportionally slim, it has a slim straight side. so they dont work together as a set.

really lovely bead shapes though. just not as a set!