Seating

Started by Lotti, April 28, 2012, 09:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

What do folks use to sit on in their workshops?  I have an old office chair but the thing to change it's height has died and I am getting serious back ache when using it.  I think I would like something on wheels as my floor is rough and I would need to be able to move my seat often (putting beads in kilns, gettting glass etc etc).  What do other folks use and any good suggestions for where to get something from (cost effective of course as I have spent my planned budget on studio equipment already thsi year - mostly due to the unforeseen purchase of my lovely gazebo!). :) :)

SilverGems89

I just have a cheap computer chair from Argos, height adjustable, on wheels and i find it pretty comfortable even when sitting at the torch for hours at a time  ;D

BeeBeads

I use a typists chair - adjustable height, backrest, no arms to get in the way, and most importantly - for me anyway - it's on wheels.
It is so handy to move about on, I can push myself off and glide the length of my studio to get glass etc!  I think the fact that it can be moved about is safer than a static chair because I can quickly move back or to the side to avoid spitting glass!  Contrary to what some folk think, it does not move around when I am working - unless I want it to.  Feet flat on floor and the chair is completely stationary, but if I need to move quickly or just slightly to the side for something then I think it is easier on my joints to have a chair that moves rather than twisting my body to the side.

I would always recommend this type of chair.  I can't imagine working on a static chair or high stool, it's much better to be able to move about!  And it was very reasonable too, less than £25 in Argos!  :D

BeeBeads

Hah!  Cross-posted with you Gemma ... great minds think alike!  ;D

SilverGems89

Quote from: BeeBeads on April 28, 2012, 10:15:24 AM
Hah!  Cross-posted with you Gemma ... great minds think alike!  ;D

LOL yep! sounds exactly like mine  ;D

Lotti

Sounds like the thing for me.  Will go and have a look.  I know alot of folks use stools but just not sure about them for me anyway.  :)

polly put the kettle on

Recycled swivel chair with a wonky wheel from skip at work
replace wheel with prev chairs it's as good as new  ;D

sally
sallyx

lampworklover

Fab leather office chair on wheels with armrests... from Freecycle. Def worth an ask!

Pauline

Ikea office chair from their bargains section
I need wheels definately

Moreton

Cheap office chair from B&M Bargains. Often called an operators chair in places like Staples. I did have an "Executive/Managers" chair but gave it away as it was far too heavy and bulky. The much lighter operators was better for me. And cheaper, about £15.

Pete
Pete

firedinglass

Office chair on wheels - wouldn't have anything else now! :)

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

SueP

I don't I always stand  ;D ;D

Blue Box Studio

Freecycled gas lift bar stool that swivels, but I work at kitchen unit height.  In the other shedio I have a draughtsman chair, higher than a typing chair, the typing chair was too low for me at the kitchen units I have in there.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Katiequiggle

Mine is a pink tweed office chair without arms.  A fiver from Oxfam.  Works fab though the first time I pushed off from my work bench I shot straight out of the double doors at the end of the shed  ;D ;D  Haven't done that again since.

kathsd

I always stand too, makes dot placements a challenge !  ;D but not sure what to do when i fit out the shed  ? ???