using slow cooker for annealing bubbles/vermiculite

Started by Kimster, April 19, 2012, 05:52:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kimster

Hi there
Can anyone advise me on how I might use a slow cooker to keep annealing bubbles etc warmer, & try & reduce the number of cracked beads I'm getting at the mo? I saw it mentioned on the forum & I have one here, just not sure what temp to set it...it has low/high/warm options on the switch. Do I start off high & then gradually reduce it? Also, can I mix vermiculite from the garden centre with annealing bubbles? The bag of bubbles I have only about half fills the slow cooker. Just want to give them the best chance in life!
Thanks
Kim

Lakelady

I did exactly that.  I mixed vermiculite and bubbles.  I set theslow cooker on high.  After about an hour after the last bead went in, I would turn it off and not remove the beads until the vermiculite mix was about 50 degrees or cooler - it worked for me - didn't have any breakages using that system.  Hope this is of help  ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Madam Steph

This is exactly how I did it too, but I just used bubbles and I had no dusty vermiculite.
I used a small slo-cooker from Argos that I had bought (£10) originally for my silversmithing pickle and it was small enough to get a good depth with one bag of bubbles.
Since the kiln, it's now used for it's original  purpose. I have retained the bubbles though, in case I should ever need them (in case of kiln emergency)

Linda x

chocolateteapot

Hi. I used to use slow cooker and vermiculite. That worked ok. But I don't think the slow cooker likes it much over long term. I had to chuck it. Can't beat kiln if u can save up. I haven't used annealing bubbles...they weren't out then. I used to put cooker on high. Then batch anneal in my fusing kiln..the big beads didn't always make it. X
no...don't throw that in the landfill..maybe i can use it..for something..or ...

SilverGems89

I have my annealing bubbles in a slow cooker, i put it on high when i start and turn it off when i'm finished and have lost very few beads. In my opinion as long as the bubbles are deep enough to cover the beads i wouldn't start mixing it with vermiculite, which is very dusty and not as good at holding in the heat as the bubbles.
HTH

Blue Box Studio

I use a slow cooker when i don't want to turn on the kiln but never throught to actually turn it on with bubbles.  Not lost anything yet, other than very large beads.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Kimster

Thanks so much to you all - I have stuck them all in on high, & as you suggested, turned it off when I finished. Not going to take them out till the morning!