Which Kiln for Me, Oh the Choices

Started by lazy-daisy-handmade-crafts, April 14, 2012, 08:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lazy-daisy-handmade-crafts

Hi everyone

its been a while since iv been on FH and i haven't had the time to really concentrate on my bead making.
but i have now finally saved and scrimped up enough cash to get myself a nice shiny kiln.

i did post a while back about which kiln to get and i got some good suggestions, but now that i really do have to pick,
i really could do with some more advise.

okay so where to start, i have roughly £700 give or take a few pounds. and i would like a good reliable kiln that i can easily get info or extra parts for.
when it comes to what type and what uses, i really don't want to limit myself to just bead annealing and would like to use it for other things such as glass slumping, silver clay, and what ever else i can possibly get out of it.

iv been looking at the paragon sc2 but have a feeling i will be wanting something bigger, do i go for one with a bead door so i can anneal the bigger beads, or do i go for a top loader?

any suggestions, links or opinions would be much appreciated

Zeldazog

Trouble with a top loader is you can't really anneal (as you go) the bigger beads in it, as you can only batch anneal - and of course, bigger beads are at more risk of cracking if they don't go straight into the kiln.

You have the Caldera, which is a side firing, top loading firebrick kiln, not sure what it's priced at these days, but it does come with a bead collar option for annealing as you go.  I think it's slightly bigger than the SC2 inside.

Kilncare have just brought out a new kiln which is the same size as the SC2 but is built in Stoke and has the KC controller - and of course the Kilncare service.

If you ARE looking at a top loader of a decent size I'd suggest looking at the Skutt Hotstart Pro that Warm Glass UK sell.

Edited to Add:  Generally, you won't find ONE kiln that does it all - so you have to decide your priority really.

lazy-daisy-handmade-crafts

just had a little look at the Caldera, looks interesting.
not that much bigger than the sc2. anyone know if the sc3 rates much better?

Zeldazog

Quote from: lazy-daisy-handmade-crafts on April 14, 2012, 10:19:37 PM
not that much bigger than the sc2. anyone know if the sc3 rates much better?

According to this site, the footprint is the same, its just taller:

http://www.paragonkiln.co.uk/sc3.php

Margram

I've got an SC3 - you can get two shelves in for fusing, but only the pieces on the top shelf melt down properly - on the lower shelf you get a tack fuse (not that I've used it for fusing that much, now I have the beading bug! ;))
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog