Propane Regulator

Started by annasjewellerybox, September 07, 2007, 02:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJanie

Quote from: Bumpy Beads on September 07, 2007, 05:20:02 PM
I got all my bits from here http://www.chorleybottlegas.co.uk/.

I actually telephoned them because I was confused about what to order, and they were ever so helpful, and not in the last bit patronising. They sell on Ebay too http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Chorley-Bottle-Gas

I saved quite a lot of money. The stuff arrived the next day, and they kept the postage at cost.

Heather, you don't know how pleased I am that you posted this - I'm off to Chorley Bottle Gas tomorrow to ask them about all this... they're only about 5 minutes from my house :)

Great to know they should know about this already!  I'm a little less concerned about not knowing what I'm talking about now ;)

Cheers,

Janie

annasjewellerybox

Thanks Mike, you're a star.

;D

Bluebottle

No problem Anna I'm pleased to help anytime  8)

Mike   ;D

TheJanie

Hi all...

I have to admit, after a rather confusing time at Chorley Bottle Gas, I'm still a bit in the dark :/

I've come away with a 0-4 bar regulator, a piece of 0.25 inch rubber hose and had to buy the adaptor for the Hothead from Tuffnells.

The bloke at CBG had to warm the end of the 0.25 hose in hot water in order to get the regulator in and said he wasn't sure how secure it was.  The adaptor arrived this morning and although my caliper says the widest part of it is 0.25 inches, I can't for the life of me get it into the tube and think I'll have to do the same with the warm water.

However, all this and a bit of reading around has left me wondering if I should have a larger tube?  What sort of size do I actually need?

I'd really appreciate some help with this - the last thing I need is to make my house disappear with a loud "kaboom!"  ::)

Thanks in advance :)

Cheers,

Janie

annasjewellerybox

i'm not sure about the size of the hose you need (as you can see i'm struggling too) but all my connections are secured with jubilee clips, if that's any help

:)

TheJanie

Quote from: annasjewellerybox on September 11, 2007, 03:08:37 PM
i'm not sure about the size of the hose you need (as you can see i'm struggling too) but all my connections are secured with jubilee clips, if that's any help

Yeh, I have jubilee clips too... the bloke said something about that hose not being able to supply the correct pressure but he connected the regulator to it anyway... had a heck of a time doing it and then didn't seem to happy about it...

It's all very confusing, isn't it? :)

Cheers,

Janie

annasjewellerybox

i know. i am confused!

i am still waiting for my regulator to come (hopefully in the next day or two) and then for my father to come back from holiday to hekp me set up.

the link which mike (bluebottle) provided sells hose for high pressure propane, if the other hose is making it difficult to light the torch or melt the glass.

;D

Mary

I don't think you should have jubilee clips on propane hoses. Martin's set comes all crimped together, and he does the "o" rings to do it yourself - he sent some with my quick connects. It was very hard to get the quick connects into the hose, sounds like the same struggle you had, so that is probably right enough.
I think the main thing to watch about the hose, is that acetylene hoses get "eaten" by propane over time, you need to get t-rated (I think!) hose.

Bluebottle

If you don't have a crimping tool then you have to use jubilee clips as 4 bar is extremely high  pressure, and at this type of pressure you have to use high pressure  propane hose which has a small bore and thick sides ( to withstand the pressure) also don't rely on hand tightening connections as you will never make it gas tight without tools

Mike   ;D

TheJanie

Quote from: Bluebottle on September 11, 2007, 05:28:26 PM
If you don't have a crimping tool then you have to use jubilee clips as 4 bar is extremely high  pressure, and at this type of pressure you have to use high pressure  propane hose which has a small bore and thick sides ( to withstand the pressure) also don't rely on hand tightening connections as you will never make it gas tight without tools

Thanks for the advice, Mike :)

I don't have great strength in my hands so would always tighten the connections with an electric screwdriver anyway...

So is the 0.25 inch rubber hosing I have too thin then?

Cheers,

Janie

Bluebottle

Hi Janie, where are you measuring the tube??  as a rough guide the tube should be about .25" bore and about .125" for the walls. The link I gave to Anna has the correct type if you are not sure  8)

Mike   ;D

TheJanie

Hi Mike,

I was measuring the inner bore of the tube.. I have it and my digital calipers here... been finding out how difficult it is to measure a non-solid pipe with these things ;)

Anyway, I get:

Inner bore: 0.22"
Walls: 0.135"
Full width: 0.46"

From what you said, I think this should be OK?

Cheers,

Janie

Dragonfire Glass

I would ring Martin & ask him.
There is a problem using jubilee clips on hoses - I think they were replaced with O rings and you are no longer allowed to use jubilee clips.

annasjewellerybox

i'm pretty sure that I have the correct stuff (probably just don't know what anything is called), i trust my dad (most of the time) he deals with gas in his work.

:)

Bluebottle

Quote from: TheJanie on September 11, 2007, 09:43:54 PM
Hi Mike,

I was measuring the inner bore of the tube.. I have it and my digital calipers here... been finding out how difficult it is to measure a non-solid pipe with these things ;)

Anyway, I get:

Inner bore: 0.22"
Walls: 0.135"
Full width: 0.46"

From what you said, I think this should be OK?

Cheers,

Janie

Sounds OK Janie, as regards clips ask at your local LPG supplier or on the link I provided there must be a screw type clip available.

Mike 

PS   BES have "jubilee" or crimp type clips here  page 65 http://www.bes.co.uk/ so they should be OK