AOTM May 2012 - Kathryn Greer

Started by sparrow, April 30, 2012, 07:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparrow

Kathryn Greer

How did you get started in glass bead making?

I have always had a love for beads and started making jewellery when I was a young child. The usual beads eventually were not enough, so I searched and searched for that "special" kind of bead that would make the difference! I then found an American lampworker's website with a free tutorial and I was hooked. After months and months of research on safety and other important information, I was given a beginner's lampworking kit at Christmas in 2004.

Where and when did you light the torch for the first time?

As mentioned above, I started when I was fourteen on Christmas day, in 2004. Having seen lots of tutorials and videos for months, I was crazy enough not to be scared to light my torch!

mix3 by Kathryn Greer, on Flickr

Have you had any lessons? Where do you get your knowledge from?

I am self taught, thanks to online forums, tutorials and Corina Tettinger's book Passing the Flame.

Are there any bead makers or jewellery designers you admire? What for?

I admire Dora Schubert's stringer work, as well as Donna Mehnert's and Corina Tettinger's whimsical style of beads. I admire anyone with great stringer work and beautifully detailed encased beads.

Where do you get your inspiration from?

Beads and colour combinations are often inspired by things that surround me everyday. My best work is usually inspired by French countryside or the seaside, where you see many different sorts of little flowers, animals and especially lots of colour!

Have you got a 'signature' style? How would you describe it?

I think I can safely say that encased florals are my signature style. Really deep detailed beads are what I always strive for.

What skill or technique would you like to learn - where would you like to take your art next?

I would really like to improve my stringer control and am currently trying to figure out lots of "new" (for me) sorts of flowers to encase in my beads. I've also been practising making encased floral disc beads, which is harder than it seems! Something I also plan to make, when I get the time, is big bold encased bead necklaces. There are always lots of plans and ideas, but so little time!

Something I would love to do also is teach classes! I have done lots of unofficial demos here and there (always love doing them!), but my dream would be to teach people how to make beads in an actual class.

Which bead or piece are you most proud of - can you tell us the story behind it?

Good question. I think these beads are some of my best work:

I like them so much because it was the first time I managed to make nice crisp, deep, three-layers of petals in the flowers. That was thanks to Mangobeads' 3D flower tools!

Which of your personality traits comes through in your work, do you think?

Craziness of course. Seriously, I couldn't answer that question. Maybe some of the readers could answer it instead?

What are you currently working on?

My book! I am currently taking orders for my first book, which is on some of my colour combinations. You can find it in my Etsy shop.

book by Kathryn Greer, on Flickr

Where can we see more of your work?

Here are some links:
My website
Flickr
Etsy
Zibbet
A Little Market
Facebook

A big thanks to Sabine for asking me to be AOTM! I really do feel very honoured to be asked.
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial