Fusing with 104 sheet - help needed

Started by silkworm, March 21, 2012, 12:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silkworm

I have lots of duff beads, tail ends of rods and other odds and ends and have an idea for using them up in a fused piece. I have got a couple of bits of 104 coe sheet and now would really appreciate some help on what temperatures I need to use at the various stages of the fusing process. I am looking for closer to a full fuse than a tack fuse.
Mary

Stephen Richard

There is a listing of the approximate temperature characteristics of various glasses here:

http://glasstips.blogspot.co.uk/2010/02/temperature-characteristics-of-various.html

Scroll down to Moretti.

silkworm

Thank you Stephen, that looks really useful but I cannot find Moretti.
Mary

Stephen Richard

Apoloiges,
I sent the wrong link.
The data that I have is:
Moretti/Effetre – nominal CoE 104
Strain Point: 448C
Annealing Range: 493 – 498C

Softening Point: 565C

Zeldazog

If its any help Mary, when I put some coe104 murrini on a shelf along with some Bullseye full fuse (which I do at 795 centigrade) it was too hot - I put some more in with a tack fuse another time, and it was about right - the 104 came out full fused.

Now tack fusing varies, and I can't recall now if I did a high or low tack fuse, but I would say around 765 to 775 ish - of course, all kilns are different anyway so I would suggest trying a firing around this temperature with just a couple of small bits to see what you get.

Flyingcheesetoastie

I full fuse murrini onto Moretti sheet in my beadcube at 700c for about 10 minutes, I'll have to check what I anneal it at but it looks similar to Stephen's temps.  I'm only going about 5mm thick at the most too.