Main Menu

Dealers notice

Started by Lotti, March 07, 2012, 04:00:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

Hi Mods, not sure if this is the right place, so apologies if not.

Re dealers notice for silver, we only have to display this if we are using sterling or fine silver (or gold) but not if only using silver plate or other plated items, is this correct - sorry looked on the guidance notes from the assay office but just wanted to make sure I understand correctly (I ask as I am including this in my stall holders checklist I am doing for a forthcomming market and want to make sure I give the correct info - I know that even if the amount of SS being used is less than the required weight to be hallmarked that we still need to dispay the sign).

Thanks. :)

mizgeorge

Yes, that's right.

It's worth just keeping it on display - it definitely helps establish credibility as a 'proper' maker, and avoids any potential issues with trading standards. It's free to download, but looks nicer if you either stick it to a board or laminate it.

Steampunkglass

Does that mean I should have one too, even though I only have leather with just silver crimps and bolt rings on the end?  ???

sarah t

it does not hurt to have one ,if any of the componants used in any jewellery you sell are sterling then i would .....like george says nothing to get hold of one and keeps you on the right side of everyone

Helen G

Quote from: Steampunkglass on March 07, 2012, 04:52:05 PM
Does that mean I should have one too, even though I only have leather with just silver crimps and bolt rings on the end?  ???

If you are saying the crimps are sterling silver then yes, I got Mr trading standards himself pick me up on it at my very first show  :-\

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Helen G on March 07, 2012, 05:42:49 PM
Quote from: Steampunkglass on March 07, 2012, 04:52:05 PM

If you are saying the crimps are sterling silver then yes, I got Mr trading standards himself pick me up on it at my very first show  :-\
oops, ok, I'll sort one out, I had trading standards come around a while back, and they didn't even notice, despite one of them asking me to make her up a leather cord with the silver on the ends!!!!!

Lotti

Thanks George, what I thought.  Here is a link to the assay office's dealers notice, I have one laminated that I put up above my stall everywhere I go. :)

http://www.theassayoffice.co.uk/dealers_notices.html

Steampunkglass

Ta for the link!  :) Downloaded, just need to find the printer!

ScarletLeonard

I put mine in a frame, out of all the shows I have done though only one person has ever really noticed it, though he did give it an in depth study then started quizzing me on it. Maybe he was from trading standards.