Table covers for markets - what do you use?

Started by Lotti, March 12, 2012, 03:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

You can see markets are on my mind, got a BIG one comming up Easter Sat and then the weekly ones go a bit mad for the summer.  I currently use a burgandy colour throw over my table with a small white tablecloth over the top, but shortly I will have two tables so need another cover.  I quite like the throws, especially ones that will go in the machine, but I can't decide whether to have blue ones (blue is my colour really) with the smal whilte tablecloths over the top, or whether to just have one layer (less time consuming and less washing) in say a more neutral colour.  What do other folks use for their covers?

pS.  I can't be doing with white sheets, with two markets a week from Easter that's just too much ironing for me  :o ;D ;D ;D

Blue Box Studio

Dressmaking lining material - goes in the wash and out in minutes, tumble dries, creases drop out (unlike cotton sheets) and isn't expensive.  [Sorry, I have a thing about a creased cotton bedsheets draped over a table, always looks like they've whipped them off the bed on their way out of the door].  I then drape some cotton heavy weave fabric (Habitat buy years ago, probably meant for curtains) over the top to tone in.  Not a brilliant photo ( we gained extra space so all the boxes came into play as display space) but ....

Show stand - extra space by Blue Box Studio, on Flickr

If you have your own tables, why not make a table cover that just drops over the top and sides - none of the faffing to get the darn thing to fit properly, not drape in the mud/floor. 
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

turnedlight

Always white. I used to use dark like velvet drapes etc but I learned that things don't really show up very well and colours are too confusing. I just have white, with white blocks and props and a couple of pieces of light wood.
kathryn

awrylemming

For two tables, I use black velveteen on one side for silver jewellery and white sheeting for beads on the other.

Lotti

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on March 12, 2012, 04:02:44 PM
Dressmaking lining material - goes in the wash and out in minutes, tumble dries, creases drop out (unlike cotton sheets) and isn't expensive.  [Sorry, I have a thing about a creased cotton bedsheets draped over a table, always looks like they've whipped them off the bed on their way out of the door].  I then drape some cotton heavy weave fabric (Habitat buy years ago, probably meant for curtains) over the top to tone in.  Not a brilliant photo ( we gained extra space so all the boxes came into play as display space) but ....

Show stand - extra space by Blue Box Studio, on Flickr

If you have your own tables, why not make a table cover that just drops over the top and sides - none of the faffing to get the darn thing to fit properly, not drape in the mud/floor. 

I agree about wrinkles, drives me nutty.  Sadly I haven't got any old fabric that isn't highly patterned, do have an old curtain which would look nice, but only one and I need two.  

Quote from: turnedlight on March 12, 2012, 04:18:23 PM
Always white. I used to use dark like velvet drapes etc but I learned that things don't really show up very well and colours are too confusing. I just have white, with white blocks and props and a couple of pieces of light wood.

I agree about light colours too, I love my burgandy throw, but have to put the little table cloths over the top to lighten it (I think black velvet would look soooo beautiful for silver jewellery, but I don't have much).  UM, think I have just answered my own question - sorry folks, sometimes you need to share your brain with others to enable you to think!  More tea.  Thanks folks.  :) :) :)

Dragonfire Glass

Ivory velvet - cheap, drapes well, doesn't crease  :)

Blue Box Studio

Down the market, sure to be useful plain fabrics there.
Sue

Lotti

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on March 12, 2012, 05:11:42 PM

;D ;D ;D  You'd think so wouldn't you, checked it out last week and there was nada!  Might have to check out Barnstaple pannier market or there is a fabric seconds shop in Bude.

Blue Box Studio

Have you tried Freecycle?  I got some lovely plain fabrics that were end of rolls from the local curtain maker.  If you have a local bridal gown maker they probably have ends.
Sue

Steampunkglass

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on March 12, 2012, 05:11:42 PM
Yep, if you have a seconds off-cuts place they're ideal. Stretchy non-iron jersey fabrics are great, I've got some that one side has a velour texture, I scrunch them up for a week, then hang them up without worrying about creases. When you trall around the shops scrunch up a bit of the fabric in your hand when looking at them  ;) Also I use a really nice bit of devore velvet for my table top, with cheap satin underneath which looks really quite nice, does crease slightly but there are so many boxes and bits laid out it doesn't really notice

poledra1958

If you have any local Indian fabic shops they have some cheap ranges as well.

HH on Bulk,

tinker

Ebay or the local market can be good. Ive used hussainfabrics (ebay) recently and they were very reasonable

SueP

I use a huge dark green tablecloth covered with a doubled white sheet all weighed down with black granite table mats so I have dark and light ;D  When I have sold with Karen we used crushed velvet in cream and gold  - with cream on top - no creases ;D

SRJ

Afraid I do use sheets - ironed ones.  They are large, cheap and come in various colours according to the season eg red/green at christmas. Most of my pieces are displayed on neutral coloured boards rather than directly on the table. My pet hate is drapes that are too short and give a good view of the boxes etc stashed under the table......

Jennie Lamb

Lotti if you are going to Barnstaple try Heathcotes they are a good size fabric outlet (with parking) opposite the road that leads to Green Lanes Car Park I think it is Vicarage Street I have a huge roll of sky blue material I got from there and some black velvet It was a while ago but It was really reasonable and I used to buy all the fabrics to do the window design for our shop when we had it.....