What do I actually need?

Started by ChrissieBeads, February 14, 2012, 04:21:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrissieBeads

Thinking about moving on up from the Hot Head to something better. I've not decided on a torch yet ( any opinions gratefully received) but I've been looking at what I'll need in the way of other bits, to run a proper torch. Obviously an oxycon (reconditioned one from Tuffnells) but what else? Various bits of pipe and taps? I've got the hose for running my HH off a tank of propane, so I can still use that? What else do I need to consider?

Glyn Burton

If your HH setup has the regulator and flashback you just need the torch and an oxycon, perhaps a couple of jubilee clips for the hoses. I have a couple of nortel minors and a mega minor (which I run with 2 oxycons) and they have given years of trouble free use.

lampworklover

Having upgraded myself just over a week ago, I'd agree that it's very straightforward after all the faff of setting up your Hothead on bulk! Glyn has it spot on; if you've already got the flashback arrestor and regulator, Martin's oxycons come ready to use with hosing, it's not a complicated process.

ScarletLeonard

I didn't do it that long ago. I was already on bulk propane so had the regulator, flashback and propane hose.

I bought a minor and an oxycon. That was all I needed, oxycon comes with the hose attached and a clip to attach it to the torch (and I think if you buy torch from tuffers with the oxycon they will actually attach the oxygen hose at the torch end too.

After that all you may need is a new lemon clip for your propane if it is attached to the hh with one of those, if it's a jubilee then you are fine.

p.s I love the minor, it's not to much of a dramatic change.

JaySpangles

I have a minor, and have sometimes wondered if I wouldn't prefer something a bit more flash.  
However having tried lots of other torches, at Flame Off, and played quite a bit with DD's Bobcat, I have come to the conclusion that I really like my little workhorse and I wouldn't gain anything by upgrading, (unless I wanted to try boro, which I don't;  there is enough to learn with this soft stuff)
The oxycon setup from Martin is very comprehensive, and you shouldn't really need anything else. (Although need and want are two completely different issues!)

ChrissieBeads

I think I'm deciding in the direction of a minor... Maybe a mega minor? What does the extra £40 get you? Also looking at this

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80059652/

as a work table, what do you think? Room underneath for the oxycon and propane, nice metal top...

Ooh, I'm getting all excited!

Lakelady

I have a Mega Minor - I can melt boro with it with only one oxy con - slow going but I think it's worth it!  I can't compare it with anything but the HH but I love it!  ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Rascal

Quote from: ChrissieBeads on February 14, 2012, 06:05:59 PM
I think I'm deciding in the direction of a minor... Maybe a mega minor? What does the extra £40 get you? Also looking at this

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80059652/

as a work table, what do you think? Room underneath for the oxycon and propane, nice metal top...

Ooh, I'm getting all excited!

Hi, I got that table at the weekend. The top isn't solid stainless steel, it's some kind of wood covered with a stainless steel sheet but is sturdy and for the price I think it looked reasonable. I've not used it to torch yet, but depending on when you are looking to buy I can always let you know after the weekend what it's like.

ChrissieBeads

That would be great, thank you. I'm not rushing out to buy just yet, doing some research first so I'd love to hear how you get on with it :)

Rascal

No problem, I'll post how I get on Sunday night.

Glyn Burton

Handy looking tables. I may pop over to France this weekend and buy some I just checked and they have some in stock at Rennes. What I get from the mega minor running on two oxycons is the ability to work boro, the ability to work large soft glass beads easily and quickly and the ability to work smaller beads very quickly.
I had to make 150 pairs of earrings this week with a HH I would have taken 10 times longer. I make lots and lots of beads, it's my job, if you are making small quantities or for a hobby then I think that the minor will do everything you need.

Rascal

Quote from: Rascal on February 14, 2012, 08:43:55 PM
No problem, I'll post how I get on Sunday night.

Hi, well the table is now up and I am very impressed with how sturdy it is especially for the price. It was a pain to build as some of the holes had been drilled at an angle so the screws wouldn't line up properly, but hopefully it was a fault with a batch and if you buy you won't have the same problem. The joys of flat pack Ikea furniture! If you do buy it and try to find it displayed in Ikea we struggled to find it but the base/frame was in the kitchen showroom but with an oak worktop displayed on it and then the stainless steel top was on display in the office showroom area. It is a tall table, which isn't a problem for me as I will be using a bar stool but a 'normal' height chair wouldn't be tall enough, From top to floor it stands about 1 metre, so I think your chair seat needs to be about 75 to 85 cm. Everything said, I'm really happy with it.

ChrissieBeads

Thank you for excellent feedback! HWMBO is familiar with having to re drill bits of ikea furniture so that shouldn't be a problem. We have two bar stools in the loft too so that should be fine too. I'm sure that it'll be what I go for, it does look a very good price for an ideal table :D