French wire or wire guardians?

Started by Lotti, February 08, 2012, 05:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

I have started making up some bracelets, something I have been meaning to do for a while.  Am using wire guardians but they seem scratchy to me (maybe I am not using them right but thought I was).  I am seriously thinking about french/gimp wire, am am fairly confident on how to use it but I think I saw someone say it was a pain to use?  Any thoughts lovely folks. xx :)

Purple Cobwebs

I've had the same problem with guardians, I think I sometimes catch them when I'm squishing my crimp bead!!!! I find gimp wire much easier to use. Just need very sharp and fine cutters to get a good end cut on it.
Gaynor
Making beads, cards and jewellery to raise funds for Viva and Dr Hadwens Trust!
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Lotti

Quote from: Purple Cobwebs on February 08, 2012, 05:08:41 PM
I've had the same problem with guardians, I think I sometimes catch them when I'm squishing my crimp bead!!!! I find gimp wire much easier to use. Just need very sharp and fine cutters to get a good end cut on it.

Thanks Gaynor. :)  I now trying to find who stocks it, where do you get yours from (cooksons seem to have it, just wondered if anyone else does, can't find it on Palmers or Silver Corporation.) :)

Purple Cobwebs

Gaynor
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Lotti

Quote from: Purple Cobwebs on February 08, 2012, 05:13:09 PM
I get mine from here;
http://www.spoiltrottenbeads.co.uk/french-wire-311-c.asp

Ah ha, hadn't thought of folks like them, will have a look.  Found it on Palmers now, that website drives me nutty! :)

mizgeorge

I only use it for pearls, or similar, on silk. Suzanne at the crystal phoenix is a good supplier and has sterling as well as the usual horrid plated stuff - http://www.thecrystalphoenix.com/french-wire---gimp-148-c.asp

It's not really designed for use on beading thread/wire, and will separate too much with heavier use, especially for things like bracelets, where it can also end up unravelling. It also needs to go onto a fully closed (soldered) finding as it can catch otherwise.

I dislike wire guardians (why do they leave them half open?), but there's not much in the way of alternatives. They shouldn't feel scratchy though.

It's often better to put a small spacer bead between the guardian and the crimp to avoid catching it when squishing.

Lotti

Thanks George, maybe a spacer will help (I have got quite alot of the guardians so be a pity to waste them), the scratchy bit is the tube ends where the wire goes through, could I be using ones that are too big (can't remember the size I have).  I am using 49strand beadalon.  :) :)

mizgeorge

The guardians do come in different sizes - designed to be used with the different widths of wire - which is not to do with the number of strands.

Purple Cobwebs

George - you are a star!!!! I just finished off a necklace and used your spacer bead tip - perfect!!!! Thank you x
Gaynor
www.purplecobwebs.co.uk

Skyblue

George you need to write a book !  :) :)