What type of grinder?

Started by Bluebell, January 12, 2012, 07:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick

I use the inland machine and It's great. It uses 6 or 8 inch discs in the same machine so I bought the 6 inch version then bought extra 8 inch discs. If you can get to the rock and gem shows some of the lapidary guys do the discs at a very good price especially at the Cheltenham show. (I think it's the Bristol Lapidary Society) and I think they can post items to you?

Sandera

Quote from: Nick on August 15, 2013, 08:23:56 PM
I use the inland machine and It's great. It uses 6 or 8 inch discs in the same machine so I bought the 6 inch version then bought extra 8 inch discs. If you can get to the rock and gem shows some of the lapidary guys do the discs at a very good price especially at the Cheltenham show. (I think it's the Bristol Lapidary Society) and I think they can post items to you?
Can you still buy the machines? The last time I tried I couldn't get one....

MeadMoon

No, I couldn't find an Inland SwapTop in the UK either, although some of the accessories are available.

Thank you, Dawn, for the pointer to Creative Glass for the coolant.
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy

Moira HFG

I spent a long time trying to find a Swaptop last winter. Apparently they've been discontinued, due to repeated motor faults as water gets in. (Search for 'swaptop' on the forum to read the whole saga).

If you come across a second-hand one, as I did, it's worth having as you can still get discs and accessories easily.

It's such a clever piece of kit - you get a diamond saw, flat lap and bobbin grinder in one compact piece of machinery: cheap and space-saving. I'm amazed that Inland or some other company hasn't sorted out what is basically a small design problem, and re-issued it.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Quote from: MeadMoon on August 15, 2013, 04:55:36 PM
Really?  That simple?  I'm off to the supermarket then.  Thank you Tan!

Elaine it is as simple as that, I had the same head in my grinder for years before I needed to change it and it was used fairly regularly. I cleaned it after each use and added fresh water with a couple of drops of washing up liquid and have never had a problem

MeadMoon

Thank you again Tan.  I have invested in some Vaseline and cheap washing up liquid.
Elaine at Mead Moon  Facebook  Etsy