Removing glue from glass bottles

Started by nuttybeader, January 08, 2012, 06:52:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nuttybeader

I have been playing with slumping bottles and it is fun even in my small kiln (even a budweiser bottle is too large).  I am having a problem removing the glue from the bottles.  I soak the bottles and the labels come off ok but there is a residue of glue left behind on some bottles I can remove it but I have an oramorph bottle that does not want to give its glue up.  Any ideas would be welcome.

micpru

I use a non scratch scourer to get the glue or alcohol. Hope that helps!
Michaela x

poledra1958

Lakeland do a sticky marks remover which is what I use.

HH on Bulk,

Blue Box Studio

WD40 usually works.  Or Sticky Stuff remover.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Magpie

I use a squirt of washing up liquid, a metal scourer and a lot of elbow grease. They do come off eventually. I like the bottles where you soak them and the label comes off nicely and floats away. Unfortunately not all bottles are like that.

nuttybeader

Thanks for that.  DH has now suggested chewing gum remover which apparently we have.  If not will have to find out where he hides the WD40.  Kathleen

polly put the kettle on

sallyx

★★Terri★★

Acetone - available from the chemists.

Zeldazog

I was going to suggest Acetone or nail varnish remover (just check that its not an acetone free one!)

I think Methylated spirits is supposed to work as well, but not sure.

Margram

Funnily enough I did a search for this a couple of days ago, as we had emptied out some miniature spirits bottles (down the sink unfortunately :o) and I fancied doing some slumping  there are some more suggestions here: http://www.frit-happens.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5122.15 :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Helen G

Pat from Canvey

I use one of those scrapers which has a razor blade type thingy in it, so no fumes. A paint scraper type.

Emerald

White spirit also works just cleaned a load of little herb bottles for Frit  ;D
Jo

www.etsy.com/shop/jowalker68
www.jowalkerstudiojeweller.co.uk
www.flickr.com/account

Zeldazog

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on January 09, 2012, 07:39:39 AM
, so no fumes.

Good point, Pat.  A lot of the chemicals are smelly, but if you go for Acetone, be careful, use it in a well-ventilated room as it can go to your head - if you leave it in a bowl or the lid off, it will evaporate very quickly too, and you're breathing in those fumes.

I have a large bottle of it (acetone) at the studio, its kept in a brown glass bottle in a box, in a drawer (it advises keeping it dark, too!)

poledra1958

Any ideas for getting the writing off the side of a saphire gin bottle ??

HH on Bulk,