Yeah.. I got a kiln ..but im stuck!

Started by Mandy, January 04, 2012, 02:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandy

So happy my kiln has arrived, I have read the instruction and most of the posts on hear but I'm still stuck.. I think this maybe because I'm very very silly....
Here are my Questions..... Do I need to kiln wash before I use it?
I have bought the SC2 with bead door, Do I need to rest the beads on anything in the kiln once posted through the door.IE a shelf or rack or do you just place them on the kiln floor?..... Many Many thanks Mandy xx

Trudi

Hi Mandy

You don't need to wash it, just use use a quick fire schedule with the bung out first (with no beads inside it) so it burns out any residule dirt.

For inside the kiln use can either buy a kiln rack - or as I do use half a rod rest - put new beads on that (should be about 5) and then as you make more you can "stack them" on the other side. The only exception to that rule would be un encased rubino as it can get a bit tacky as it fires up to 520­°C.

And here's a schedule for you!

ANNEAL AS-YOU-GO – Paragon SC2
Good for COE 90 and 104 glass

Segment 1: Ramp1 900 deg C Temp1 500 deg C Hold1 12 HRS*

Segment 2: Ramp2 FULL Temp2 520 deg C ** Hold2 30/45 mins

Segment 3: Ramp3 78 deg C Temp3 370 deg C Hold3 0000mins

Segment 4: Ramp4 0000

*In segment 1 I set the holding time to 12 hours, but as soon as I have put in the last bead for the day I skip to segment 2. On the sentry 3.0 controller you do that by pressing the up arrow twice, on the sentry 4.0 controller you skip a segment by pressing up arrow once. SStP should appear in the window. Press start.

With annealing as you go it is vital the bead is properly flame-annealed before putting it into the kiln, i.e. first the bead needs to be warmed through, then flame-annealed in the outer part of the flame until it does not glow anymore before going into the kiln. If too hot it will stick to other beads or kiln floor, if not evenly warmed before flame-annealed it might crack down the middle of the mandrel (and yes, I have experienced both , luckily with no great consequences).

**If I'm using kiln striking colours, or colours that need a higher temp (ie CiM's Halong Bay & Peacock) – in segment 2, I increase the temp to 545°C

NB – if you have some beads previously made and not annealed, you can pop them in the kiln just before you fire up this schedule.

Margram

Exciting! :) I'll just add that it is good to check that your kiln is annealing properly by checking a clear bead with some polarising filters (or a lens from a pair of polarising sunglasses held up in front of computer screen) - sometimes controllers read hotter/cooler than they really are.

If you want to protect your kiln floor from melting glass (most unlikely to happen, but relays can go wrong) you can just paint it with a few layers of watered-down bead release.

Oh, and some people have made their own rod rest from perforated steel mesh from a hardware shop. :)
Marg x  Etsy Flickr My blog

Trudi

I have a bog standard wall tile on the bottom of mine!

dangerousbead

Might be heresy but I have nothing on the floor of my SC2 and garage beads directly on to it. I give each one a bit of space until the next one is done then shift the previous one over to nestle with the rest of the beads, never had them stick nor nuffin, though I try to stagger them a bit so one bead isn't resting directly on top of another. I usually manage about 40 beads (or rather mandrels) in a session, I'm on a HH so slower production.
Be brave, it took me a while before  realised that I'm in charge of the kiln and not the other way around  :D

Trudi

I used to do the same, but I found when making larger rounds, if they went on the floor of the kiln too soon they had flat patches, and if you leave them out of the kiln to settle up for too long there is a danger that they will crack! Since I've been using the half rod rest (as a cost of about £3.50) I've not had any problems  ;)

Mandy

Thankyou all........ I have cut up a rod rest, what a great idea....Im so excited  :)

spexy

You might find this interesting and handy to practice programming your kiln

http://www.electrickilns.co.uk/dm01.htm

Linda

Mandy

Happy happy happy lady, First batch of beads are annealing...!
I think I will celebrate with a big glass of red, whilst I wait the next 3 hours to see how they got on.... Yes, I am too chicken to go to bed..hehe ;D

Lakelady

Exciting!  I was like that but now I leave it overnight all the time - I can't wait to get up in the mornings to get them out!   ;D
Turner Rowe Glass Art