Shatter proofing fused glass

Started by Sandera, January 04, 2012, 09:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandera

I think that I'll maybe sandwich the fused glass between 2 pieces of safety glass (or perhaps just one piece either on top or underneath) to give it additional support. I don't want to obscure the glass too much but I do want it to be safe.

Pauline

my daughter was reading this over my shoulder and says look into PVB or EVA laminating processes, one is hot (only 200 degrees) and one is cold. they are processes that are industrially used and her tutor knows the places that do it and will do it for crafts people / artists. we will find these out if you want. in her opinion your best bet might be the warm process where the glass is sandwiched between two laminating sheets, placed in a vaccum bag and heated to 200 to melt the plastic then brought back down. this should not affect your glass at all. the one thing you are going to need to consider is the relief within the glass, if it is very bumpy and textured laminating may not work, but if your glass is 5cms thick then as long as your pieces has been annealed well then it will be fine, if not very very heavy.

Sandera

Pauline - that sounds ideal. I got my cm and mm mixed up (my piece is 5mm thick not 5 cm thick and I'm the thickest of all :D) so annealing shouldn't be a major problem and it's untextured.  I'd be dead grateful for further details. Is your daughter studying glass? I think it's fantastic when our families get involved as well.

Sandera

Pauline

Ann has now joined the forum so I will get her to answer this herself!!!

qwirkyglass

hi,

yes i am studying glass, a BA in 3DD Glass at farnham uca, and for the record i started first :P
i will email my tutor and get out of him the suppliers, who to talk to and which is which.
I will let you know when i have had success :)
would love to see pics when it done, hope it goes well

Sandera

That's fantastic and I'm unbelievably jealous - I'd love to do a degree in glass. If I ever get this project completed I will definitely post the results. Thanks for you help ;D