Cleaning Mandrels...

Started by spheresofglass, August 11, 2007, 10:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzzybead

Gosh - I'm glad I'm not the only one who sings! I belt out either 'Mamba #5' OR 'Turn This Thing Around' by El Presidente. Helps me focus...and keeps the midges away  ;)

turnedlight

I use a damp cloth to pull beads off, and the bead release just rubs off at the same time..
kathryn

spheresofglass

well I managed to get them all done, but thanks for all the tips I will remember that for next time.... But I'm going to try and be good and do them as I go along now.... ;D ;)(oh Yeah!!)

Carol

Hot water & a pot scrubby for me - but I never thought of the dishwasher either! Fab idea Q.... ;D
Carol

Trudi

Quote from: stacyemma on August 11, 2007, 10:56:31 AM
I lay all mine down in a washing up bucket (one of the pastic quare things that you put in the sink) so they are touching and then cover them in warm water. I simple roll them back and forth really quickly and the friction of them rubbing together cleans the mandrels. I've got about 60 or so and can do them all in one go. Takes about 2 minutes.

I like this idea - gonna give this one a go - thanks!

spheresofglass

I have another question in relation to mandrels.....

I was reading a thread somewhere, could have been here, not sure, the grey cells are dying off on account of all the juice I'm pickling them in... i.e. wine!  anyway, someone said that they dip their mandrels three times in kiln wash.  Well I use kiln wash on my mandrels and only coat them once.  Sometimes it can be a struggle to get the beads of the mandrel, so thought I would give this ago, mind you I only did it twice, that was enough for me.... attention deficit here... I got bored waiting for them to dry!!! 

Anyway, the beads literally fell off the mandrel after I had soaked them for a few minuets.  It was a dream and the release seemed to fall away from the mandrel as well, makes cleaning them much easier.  Perhaps it's me, I've been following the Cindy Jenkins method since I started beading... that's the closest to a lesson I have ever come and I must admit I thought I was doing things the right way.

Would be interested to hear everyone else's thoughts on this... i.e. do you dip once, or twice or more??

turnedlight

I dip twice- and the first coat doesn't have to be completely dry first, if you dip quickly! I use blue sludge and this makes it all much easier. You don't want to go too thick though!
kathryn

spheresofglass

Dipping twice seems to have worked I must admit.  I have thinned out the mixture though, I did not want it too thick as you said, it's working a treat I must say ;D ;D ;D ;D

Ilona

Hi,
The first time I did my mandrels I only dipped once, that was a big disaster.
Now I dip once, twice, three times, dip after dip, no waiting to dry.

My mandrels go straight into water to soak, and the beads never stick. I also clean off any remaining bead release at the same time.