Marking your Work: what do you think?

Started by disandland, November 10, 2011, 07:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

disandland

So, when I make anything of medium-high perceived value in silver it gets hallmarked and marked with my maker's mark, but what about copper?

There has been a lot of interest in my hand painted copper cuffs - I won't be listing any more on Etsy till December but my latest offerings are beautiful (even if I do say so myself) and people are loving them.  The thing is, they are not marked in any way and, as it is an original design, I'm wondering if I should mark them in any way.

I've seen that a lot of etsy sellers solder a little disc thing on the inside of their work.  I've always thought they looked a bit daft - especially when they squeeze a largish disc into a smallish piece - but now I understand why.

So, the question is: do you think a makers mark raises the perceived value or do you think that by putting something inside I'd just be 'up meself?'

love Di x

Lakelady

I think you should do it.  It sets your pieces apart as a OOAK designed item - you never know, people may want to start collecting!  :)
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Ilona

I think by marking your jewellery you are creating your own brand and I think it is a brilliant thing to do, and you should go for it.

MadelineBunyan

I think a signed piece of work feels more special and valuable.

however, simply stamping it with your makers mark possibly isnt right for your gorgeous bangles...

you are 'writing' on silver and copper all the time, I'm sure you can find a way of doing it that is clever, and you

Sulis (Hazel)

I agree - you should mark it in some way  :)
Hazel x

mizgeorge

Could you not etch your signature mark onto the back when you etch the design? Just scratch it out of the stopout perhaps? The papyrus font lends itself perfectly to even an approximation - a dental pick would be ideal for this.

Dee Dee

Emerald

I have always kept my hallmark at home for such an occasion but etching is a good idea
Jo

www.etsy.com/shop/jowalker68
www.jowalkerstudiojeweller.co.uk
www.flickr.com/account

tinker

I was going to suggest the same as George - your mark is very distinctive in itself and makes a nice artsy 'logo'

disandland

well, that's that sorted then!

Thank you everybody - etched papyrus it is
love Di x

jammie