Marble tutorials...?

Started by TheJanie, January 15, 2012, 05:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheJanie

I've decided that 2012 is the year I begin trying some off-mandrel work and have chosen to start with marbles :)

Reading around, this book seems to be a good one: http://frittsartglass.com/marbles/books/volume1/TOC.html

Before I take the plunge, I wonder if anyone here already has it and could tell me if it's worth getting?  Or does anyone know any other good marble tutorials/books/DVDs for beginners?

Jennie Lamb

I have that one and it is good, there is also a recent issue of The Flow which was focused on Marbles which had some tuts in.  I found You Tube really useful too....good luck they are so addictive!

CindiDee

Janie,
I'm afraid I can't comment on whether it's any good or not as I only have it in my Etsy favourites and haven't purchased it yet, but someone may know if it's any good -

http://www.etsy.com/listing/56497096/marble-techniques-for-flameworkers-book

Although the one you are looking at has a lot more pages for your money  ;D

awrylemming

The one you've found looks wonderful (can I borrow it when you're done?!  ;))  Lovely to see you about again x

jammie

I think Sean had one in one of the jewellery mags, I can have a look if no one else knows off hand, it'll be buried in my pile of mags I am currently sorting through!  ::)

garishglobes

Cosmo's tutorials are generally good, clear and well-written.
I'd still maybe be tempted to start with a search both here and on YouTube. There are tons of marble videos on YouTube, and I'm sure I can remember several discussions on here about the basic marble rounding techniques. Try the boro room on Lampwork Etc, too.

theknittinggoddess

I have the Drew Fritts book and I'd recommend it. Lots of info  on a whole range of topics.

If you have a look at Drew Fritts website you can read some tutorials he has - and drool over some amazing marbles.

TheJanie

Thanks so much everyone for all the extremely helpful feedback :)

Jennie, if you have the book I know it must be a good 'un - I've seen the lovely marbles you make :)  I've been browsing YouTube and I have that edition of The Flow too... but I need a definitive tome that I can sit and read away from the computer...

Cindi, I have that tutorial in my Etsy favourites too :D

Sue, of course you can borrow it :)  Will you be at the Flame Off this year?  If I have the book by then I can bring it with me so you can have a quick browse...

Jean, if you ever find out which mag it was, let me know and I'll search for back issues :)

Emma, I've been right through both here and LE, trying to digest as much info as I could!  It seems wherever I went lead me back to Drew Fritts book... I guess I didn't really need to ask on FH but it's always nice to have a bit of reassurance :)

OK.  Time to dust of my credit card... ;)

Thanks again!

awrylemming

Yep, I'll be at the FO, really looking forward to seeing you there.  I'll have to wear your lovely heart.  And Pris' bead.  And probably a couple of other beads, I'll be weighed down!  :D 
Do you trust me with your book then ...?

Steampunkglass

The Fritts book is ok, but he really only focuses on soft glass marbles, and the 'traditional' styles (so lots of swirly colours) and he has a thing for cherrywood moulds - personally I find graphite more than ok  ;) You might also want to take a look into the marble video that Martin used to stock, which is quite good too (but I can't find it to remember what it was called  :-[ )

TheJanie

Of course I trust you, Sue... you know I'd chase you with pointy mandrels if you didn't look after it ;)  Will be great to see you at the Flame Off too!

Glen, I think I'll be OK with soft glass for now.  I've yet to venture into boro anyway.  One day I will :)  I'll be happy playing with the more traditional styles for now... if I get on OK with that I'll move onto the more detailed and impressive stuff (I hope!).  I did look at the instructions on Drew's site for making cherrywood moulds and was tempted to have a go until I saw you have to make a custom drill bit.  As I don't have the hardware for doing that I'll have to save up for a graphite mould instead (and to be honest I probably would have done that anyway!).  Are there any in particular you'd recommend?  Oh, and is the DVD you mentioned called "Essential Marbles"?

glasseyeyes

Hello TheJanie,

I  had quite a run with making marbles last year, I do have Drews book, and I totally recommend it.  There is loads of stuff in it that will help not just with the marble making, stringer pulling, different ways to encase and application and mixing colours of glass.....it goes on and on, I found that after working my way through that lot my bead making skills improved dramatically.  If you have a look on YouTube he has his marbles to admire too.....

The cherry wood molds are simple and worth making, they DO make a difference to the finish.

Dawn

TheJanie

Hi Dawn,

Thanks for that :)  I ordered the book last week and it arrived today, so I'm just waiting for a chance to sit down and enjoy it!  I've been right through YouTube watching and inwardly digesting all the marble tutorials I could find.  I can't wait to have a go!

I am interested in making the cherry wood moulds so I can compare them to the graphite but until I can get the customised drill bit, I'll have to make do with graphite.  Had a thought this morning that I might know someone with the necessary tools though, so we'll see... :)

Steampunkglass

Yes, it is Essential marbles DVD, the infinite rim marble moulds are really nice to use, but I still go back to simple and straightforward ones like Tuffnells and Off mandrel sell. I've never tried making the cherrywood moulds as I only really make boro marbles and I'm normally happy with the finish I get just using graphite moulds, it doesn't look too hard to make the drill bits but I don't have a grinder to shape the bits, so I've never bothered.