VAT

Started by Lotti, November 25, 2011, 04:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotti

Hi folks, back in a very quiet way (not really been away, been lurking  :-[ ).  I have been busy in the background and today went to see a chap who has a shop and is interested in selling my pendants/necklaces.  He told me that he will have to charge VAT on my items (he would buy them wholesale) as he is VAT registered (of course I am not). 

I guess this is correct, but haven't come across it before and I sell my items in other shops but this has never come up.  Any thoughts, etc would be welcome.  I will probably only just cover my costs if I sell through him and keep my prices the same as elsewhere, but it would be great advertising (althought there is a possibility of other outlets in the area that he is in and I have been thinking of having a pricing structure for the particular area - if that makes sense?  Not too keen on this, would prefer to keep all my prices the same wherever my pieces are sold!).

Blue Box Studio

Several of the galleries I supplied charged VAT on commission, ie 50%+vat, so I had to put up my prices to compensation, especially with vat being 20% now.  I think people expect to pay more in a gallery than direct.  I had someone ask to stock my shibori scarf dyeing kits the other day, only S&R of course,  and I refused as to make anything on them and lose the 50% they wanted to take in commission would price them out of the reasonable market.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lotti

Cheers dear.  I think this is the way to go then with this guy and any other outlets in his immediate vacinity, also been talking to a gallery but we hadn't got to the nasty bit yet (I hate talking about money - yurrrrrrk), so she will probably be the same.  Make me feel better now about doing this if I have to.  Did also think about doing a specific range for this place then again I think I can get away with it!  More work!  ;) :) :)