Tumble polishing..

Started by turnedlight, November 17, 2011, 08:08:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turnedlight

I have managed to solder four snake bracelets, and come to the old issue of polishing - I usually use my dremel like tool with a mop and rouge to polish silver but it doesnt come up quite as shiny as I would like.

I do have a tumbler now, its a kids one for tumble stones and very noisy but ok if I put it on in the shed and shut the door! I dont really know what to put in it - I know people use some sort of metal shot and 'barrelling compound' (is that like rouge?)

Can anyone give any advice please. And not having any special shot to put in it yet, is there any household thing you can use as a stand in? ???
Thanks for all the advice, it's very much appreciated.
kathryn

Sywenn

Usually you use a tumble polisher with steel shot (stainless preferably to minimise rusting) and the compound I use is called Barrelbrite which is a burnishing compound and works really well for a great shine. You need such a tiny amount, less than a teaspoon in a small barrell or you end up with suds everywhere.

I have tonnes of Barrelbrite as you only seem to be able to get it in large quantities, so if you want a baggie full which should last you a fair while, you are more than welcome to some of mine. I am having to store it in my largest Tupperware container so would welcome the space! I think I also have some spare shot too that has gone ever so slightly rusty, but should be fine to have a play with and see what you think. Otherwise, you can get it from Cookson Gold relatively inexpensively.

Let me know if you want to have a bash with them and I will send you a care package  :D

Hazel

I've never had a problem tumbling chains - unless you damage them because they're tightly tangled together with something else!
I always do up the clasp before they go in and don't leave them in too long before checking if they are 'done'

mizgeorge

Stainless is better than ordinary steel shot - I think Manchester Minerals are usually the best value, but their pins can be a bit sharp and should be tumbled with scrap metal for quite a while before using on anything precious.

Barrelbrite is good if you are in a soft water area, hopeless in hard, where you need the Raytech compound (usually called something like burnishing compound B), also from Manchester Minerals.

I tumble snake chains all the time with no apparent ill-effects.

turnedlight

Ah, thanks again ;D I live in a vey hard water area, it is a very kind offer of the barrelbrite but I will get me some stainless shot and the raytech stuff. Cool  :)
kathryn