How close to the element ?

Started by Carl, November 19, 2011, 05:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandera

Quote from: Carl on May 01, 2012, 09:16:21 PM
sorry or not getting back sooner been busy with other projects. I have not got a lap grinder so cut the rim off with my trusty dremmel and a diamond disk, then polished with micro-mesh. Loved your peacock feathers bowl on flickr.

What is micro-mesh and what kind of finish do you get with it? Thanks for your comment about the peacock feathers. It was my first aperture melt and my favourite so far.

Carl

Micro-mesh is a bit like sandpaper but very flexable, possibly sandcloth would be a better description. Cutting with the dremmel left an untidy edge so I used it to remove the marks.

Sandera

I generally use diamond pads but I hate coldworking and avoid it if possible! It takes sooo long to do it manually and the results are meh. I'm guessing the difference between the products is just the flexibility of the cloth or (she asks optimistically) does it do the job better and more quickly?

Carl

As you guessed micromesh does not do the job itself but normally while I polish I read the forums or watch something on iplayer for example while reading your post I was polishing a brass ring prior to my first attempt at silver plating. The results are as good as you want them to be just depends on how much time you are willing to commit to it.

Zeldazog

Even using a flat-lap, linisher, any powered grinding/polishing machine can still take AGES..... I mean hours and hours and hours of work to get any kind of decent finish.

Stephen Richard

Quote from: Zeldazog on May 05, 2012, 02:19:46 PM
Even using a flat-lap, linisher, any powered grinding/polishing machine can still take AGES..... I mean hours and hours and hours of work to get any kind of decent finish.

If it is taking that long, perhaps a look at your technique would be worthwhile.

Zeldazog

Not me Stephen, I don't faff with cold-working very often, but I know of plenty who have cold worked pieces for degree shows and the like and it has taken a long long time to get a good enough finish, especially on a cast or blown piece. 

I guess on an edge, where it's perhaps not quite so crucial, and obviously a lot smaller surface area, then less time will be taken.