Basic kiln and annealing questions

Started by Richard, August 02, 2007, 05:28:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beady-kat

I've got a Paragon Caldera and I must say that I wonder if the letterbox opening always being slightly ajar while the mandrels poke out has any ill effects. I notice that the temperature only fluctuates 1 degree when it's on top temp though. I think anybody with a letterbox type bead door must have the same problem though.......do you? Also i'm very careful when I first put beads in that they don't touch each other, but then as the kiln fills up you have to shufty them to one side and pile them up a bit, is this ok?
My house was built in 1902 and the kiln seems ok with my electrics. As for the lights dimming Sally, are you sure someone isn't creating a monster in the cellar?
Kath

Mary

My SC2 has the letterbox door, and I try not to open and close it. If I leave it open while I work the kiln adjusts to this and maintains the temp. Opening and closing it leads to bursts of cool air then higher temps as it tries to compensate. Then I close it as much as possible to anneal. Of course, it burns more electricity than if it was fully sealed, but the temperature remains pretty constant.

turnedlight

My sc2 came from Cherry Heaven- they have several different websites, I think it's also called paragon kilns uk.. very confusing but anyway, they were very helpful, I got a bead door and window.
At first, I couldn't see the point in the window, but I have discovered that if you hold the bead up behind the window and look at it inside the kiln, it's much easier to see when the glow has gone than it is outside the kiln.
It is very compact, cool to touch and I have not yet felt the need for vermiculite or blankets, I just pop it straight in the kiln.
kathryn

Richard

Thanks for the advice, I am told the current draw on an SC2 is 8amps, which I think is around the same as a kettle so the wiring should be OK.

I am also told that it does not come with any details on programming for bead annealing, can anyone share their programming details please?

Thanks again

Shirley

All the info you need is on this board, Richard. If you go to the Beginner beadmaking and basics section in Tutorials there are two threads with schedules - one for batch annealing and one for annealing as you go. Have a good read as there is a lot of info there, including what to do if your kiln overshoots the temperature you need.

I've got an SC2B from Cherryheaven. Very pleased with it, quick delivery, good price and dead simple to use.
Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver