Fusible paint

Started by micpru, November 07, 2011, 08:42:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

micpru

Does anyone know any other way of painting on glass than using glassline?  I find them very gluppy if you want to write even with the fine applicator?

I've used fusible photo paper but I'd like a more handwritten look and also some different colours.

Thanks

Michaela x

aercraft

Anne

micpru

Thanks - they look fab - I will have a go!
Michaela x

Pat from Canvey

Traditional stained glass enamels work well. Look at http://leadandlight.co.uk/shop/#   and choose Glass Painting from the menu on the left. You can use pens, brushes of various thicknesses, sponges and even potato printing to get the effect you want.

Krysia@No98

I use the glass lines too.  I have found that putting some fuggly beads in the bottle and giving them a good shake before hand really helps. But I wish the bottles were a bit more squeezy  ::)
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Zeldazog

Quote from: aercraft on November 07, 2011, 09:24:06 AM
I haven't tried these so don't know how they compare: http://www.etsy.com/listing/55413328/kiln-fired-glass-painting-enamel-set

Ah, they're by our Rachel (Flying Cheese Toastie) on here.  I've got some of these, not sure how they compare though.

Glyn Burton

Hi, the traditional way is to use grisaille (tracing colour if you are English or American) or glass enamels which you mix with clove oil and then you can use a calligraphy dip pen to do some very fine line work. Clove oil is a non dryer so you can put it straight in the kiln and fire.
Grisaille is available in a fairly basic palette of colours and is opaque, enamels in a much wider range.
Please feel free to contact me if you want more information.
Glyn

Glyn Burton

Hi again, I think I posted a reply to Sparrow but just in case.
The enamel is sometimes gritty so you have to grind it down with a pestle and mortar or a muller on a glass slab or at a pinch a stainless steel palette knife on a slab. My favourite grisaille/tracing is Reuche which is available from Tempsford, Kansa Craft sell Rockingham tracing which is ok but I prefer Reuche. The bible is The art of painting on glass by Albinus Elskus. It can be a problem to find but if you are stuck I can lend a copy.
If you fancy a treat I can recommend the courses on glass painting at the Centre International du Vitrail in Chartres. The courses are excellent value and very worthwhile, you do need to speak reasonable french though.
Glyn

Glyn Burton

Pat from Canvey

Found my angel picture now, done with tracing black and enamels,

micpru

Thanks for all your advice - I will try the paints and let you know how I get on!
Michaela x

Warm Glass UK

You can water down the Glassline paints if they are too thick. We've just brought in some Sunshine Enamels after extensive testing and they appear to be excellent - strong colours and not gritty at all:

http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/paints-decals-glass-enamels-c-109_118.html

Flyingcheesetoastie

The enamels in my kits are borosilicate based so not meant for applying thickly like the glass line paints. As you have probably realised, there are many many many different types of enamels out there and what you use will vary depending on what you are doing. I currently have about 6 different brands and even more ranges within those brands that I use for a wide variety of applications.

If you have any questions about my kit then please feel free to get in touch either here or through My Etsy shop.