Getting an interesting back to cabochons

Started by Dawnch, November 06, 2011, 01:25:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawnch

I saw a pendant the other day that had a really nice pattern on the back, as if it had been fired on a textured base.

Was wondering what people use to get this, as I've searched around but think I might be missing something.
Thanks

Glyn Burton

Hi, you can make textured sheets from a 50/50 flint and plaster mix.
1,Roll out a sheet of clay or plasticine.
2,Press in objects to give texture, leaves, bark, textured papers, plastic sheet etc
3, Build a cottle (its a temporary wall or dam) around the clay.
4, Mix the plaster/flint mix with sufficient water to make a creamy paste and pour over the clay.
5. Allow the mix to set and then peel away the clay, allow the textured sheet to dry fully.
6. Place the textured sheet on a kiln shelf and you are ready to go.

With care it can be used a few times as long as you leave it on the shelf. Its a bit long winded but the plaster/flnt mix is useful for all kinds of mould making.

Zeldazog

I've also seen a textured mat/shelf liner somewhere, not sure where though... off to google....

Zeldazog

Dawnch

Thank you, I shall explore both ideas further.

Pat from Canvey

You can also make a paste out of whiting and use as Royal Icing. i.e. pipe it onto a bat washed kiln shelf to get swirls and squiggles onto flat glass.

noora

How cool, I've never thought of that! Thanks for the tips  :D

Zeldazog

Pat, did you just do that with an ordinary piping bag and nozzle?  Fab idea.

Hazel

That's a good idea Pat! I've found shapes of 1mmm fibre paper (or 3mm) cut out with scissors or a craft knife work well

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: Zeldazog on November 16, 2011, 06:16:26 PM
Pat, did you just do that with an ordinary piping bag and nozzle?  Fab idea.
I was never any good with piping bags so used a piping cylinder thingy, a bit like a large metal syringe when making birthday cakes for the children. Different nozzles make up different shapes. Do dry the whiting thoroughly before using.

Dawnch

What is Whiting?

Sorry if this is a silly question.

JKC

I think Pat is taking about this stuff, creative glass sell it:

Whiting: 454g
[gm20]   £0.87

Whiting

Whiting (calcium carbonate powder), sprinkle on leaded light (stained glass) cement to dry it out. this is an essential material for stained glass making, the powder draws the oil out of leaded light cement to enable it to set, without whiting it would take weeks for the cement to naturally harden, this speeds up the leading process and only requires an initial overnight setting period (although it is best left flat for a minimum of a week, but as long as you can prior to installing your window as wet cement will be squeezed out by the weight of the glass and lead, leaving a messy finish when placed upright.) The cement will prevent water ingress through a stained glass window and stop the glass rattling in the wind!

Price per 454g (1lb) bag.

Pat from Canvey

Yes that's it, If you want to be cheeky you can ask any local stained glass studio if you can buy some of theirs. The cost of postage bumps up the price considerably.