White going all yellowy in the kiln

Started by ScarletLeonard, November 05, 2011, 04:11:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScarletLeonard

Help how do I get rid of the I've been smoking 40 a day for 20 years look on my white glass?

it's fine before going in the kiln (cooling with bubbles first) but all the white that was touching the shelf, kiln paper and floor is a horrible yellow. the only ones that don't do it are the beads in the middle of the kebabs.

I've been doing a few off mandrel bits and I can't suspend them on mandrels, does cillit bang do the job on this? (before I buy any) or is there another way to clean/prevent it from happening.

Jolene

I don't know if Cillit bang will do the job, give it a try as you've nowt to loose. Just curious, do you use your kiln for silver clay?

Zeldazog

I was going to ask if you'd been using silver or something.

ScarletLeonard

no silver clay, there was a bead with some SiS on it and one with encased silver foil but that's all.

I don't actually have any cillit bang in the house. It's useless as a cleaner for the house, but I think neighbour has some I may have to go pinch it :D

lampworklover

I batch anneal all my beads, put them in a little pyrex bowl, haven't had any problems like that. Worth a try?

Blue Box Studio

I don't find Cillit bang works on beads for me.  All my beads, silver glass, SIS whatever go in a pyrex bowl and in for a batch anneal.  Not had white go yellow on me yet.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lee - Kilncare

Can't see any chance it is out of the kiln.

Only chance of that happening because of the kiln is if it was the first firing and insulation binders were burning out or if you have used a contaminant in the kiln that is leaking out of the insulation during a susequent firing.

That's pretty much it from the kiln man, it's back over to the glassy types  ;D

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

ScarletLeonard

Thanks lee.

I found another way to arrange what I was doing in the kiln so now I have no yellow marks, though from what you have said it's probably lurking bead release or something like that.

ok next question how do a clean a kiln?

Lee - Kilncare

Fire it high. Depends what kiln you are running and what it is contaminated with.

Leave the bungs out and run it empty to a temperature above what you normally work at.

It's a start point.

TWITTER @kilncare
VISIT US ON FACEBOOK FOR THE LATEST ON US.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stoke-On-Trent-United-Kingdom/Kilncare-Ltd/238801689732

Kaz

I Hoover out the bead release crap from time to time.
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

polly put the kettle on

Snap Kaz  :D

when i hoover i give the kiln a quick suck out  ;D

sally
sallyx