Cutting down mandrels

Started by Donna@Rockin' Beads, November 02, 2011, 07:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Forgive me if this has been dealt with somewhere else but I need help...
My dad has produced another fab bead stand which I wanted to put old mandrels into. However, I have no idea what I can use to cut the mandrels.
I have glass rod nippers but didn't want to try them in case I ruined them.
What tool do you guys use to cut mandrels?
Thanks

awrylemming

There was a thread somewhere but don't have time to rummage.  If it's skinnies you can use a memory wire cutter.  Beyond that I think somebody said a hacksaw?  Don't quote me on that though ...

Lakelady

I think bolt cutters might have been mentioned - I have used an old pair of pliers but it was very, very hard going  :o
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Hamilton Taylor

♥♥Tan♥♥

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Thanks guys. Interesting, Tan  ;D ;D

Lakelady

Turner Rowe Glass Art

Blue Box Studio

Someone suggested bolt cutters and put a link to Ebay.  I bought the bolt cutters and the 2.4mm mandrels dented the cutters!  I've had a refund.  I will resort to a hacksaw as soon as I can find my hacksaw.  I'm trying to do the same thing, the rods that came with the Totally Beads bead rack are too long and catch on everything on my table at fairs.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Pat from Canvey

I use bolt cutters to cut up welding rods for mandrels. Smooth the ends with Diapad sanding pads,
http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subdivision_product_list.asp?Subcategory=35&Subdivision=97
These pads also work on the ends of beads by the way.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on November 02, 2011, 06:21:20 PM
Someone suggested bolt cutters and put a link to Ebay.  I bought the bolt cutters and the 2.4mm mandrels dented the cutters!  I've had a refund.  I will resort to a hacksaw as soon as I can find my hacksaw.  I'm trying to do the same thing, the rods that came with the Totally Beads bead rack are too long and catch on everything on my table at fairs.

That's what you get for buying cheap crap ;D

dangerousbead

♥♥Tan♥♥

firedinglass

Which bolt cutters would you recommend?  they seem to vary hugely in price and size. :-\

www.facebook.com/firedinglass
http://www.etsy.com/shop/firedinglass
Lisa

Blue Box Studio

Quote from: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on November 03, 2011, 06:38:25 PM
Quote from: Blue Box Studio on November 02, 2011, 06:21:20 PM

That's what you get for buying cheap crap ;D

Now what makes you think they were cheap?  Granted they were crap!  It seemed to be the going price on Ebay (and we haven't anywhere local to buy this stuff) and I sort of thought they came recommended.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Donna@Rockin' Beads

Quote from: Pat from Canvey on November 03, 2011, 07:39:05 AM
I use bolt cutters to cut up welding rods for mandrels. Smooth the ends with Diapad sanding pads,
http://www.tiranti.co.uk/subdivision_product_list.asp?Subcategory=35&Subdivision=97
These pads also work on the ends of beads by the way.

They look interesting. Which grade do you use?