Chunky disc press

Started by Lynnybobs, October 31, 2011, 01:37:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnybobs

I've just acquired a zooziis chunky disc press and had a go with it yesterday but to no avail !
Every bead I tried to make broke in half - I'm guessing because I'm spending too much time pressing and letting the glass get too cold ?

Anyone got any tips for how to get the best use of this press ?

I'm starting with a donut shape bead and pressing then adding more to the middle to fill in the gaps - is that about right ?

Any tips greatly appreciated  as I got very frustrated yesterday :)
Lynnybobs
----x----

Madam Steph

I have a Pegasus plain mixer roller with a thin disc and its wonderful.

I made loads in my fave colour for a necklace yesterday, now have to set to with the grits and dremel  ::)

I think with all presses you only press for a few seconds, then get the thing back into the flame again and warm through, but in my short experience with presses/rollers, it sounds the method I would use. I would maybe use the base like a roller at first?

Over to the experts

Linda x

ScarletLeonard

if it's anything like the charm box press, I advise using it more like a roller than a press.

get your footprint to the right width with a bit of plain old marvering then build up the disc a little, roll it in the press base to keep the shape in check because you don't want it to get to fat.

keep going till you are about there, leaving room if you want to frit it etc. then a final shape check, warm the whole bead through and then press as normal (unless it's al gone good rolling it in which case leave off pressing.) Flame polish and pop it in the kiln.

Any pressed bead I don't use the top until final shape is about there. I also keep the top on my torch marver to warm it up a bit.

SilverGems89

I think Scarlet might be right with using it more like a roller...if you have no joy you can always bring it round and we can have a play  ;)

Lynnybobs

Thanks folks I'll give it another go at the weekend.  :) as no lighting in shedio for these dark evenings :(

On my last attempt I was using it more like a roller and got a good shape but then I think let it get too cold and it popped off the mandrel - think I need to be a bit quicker now the air temp is cooler !

Keeping the top on the torch marver is a great tip thanks Scarlet will deffo try that !

Thanks Gemma I may well take you up on that.... :)
Lynnybobs
----x----