Running two OxyCons

Started by Martman, October 26, 2011, 11:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martman

Hi all

Can any one tell me if there is any advantage in running two Oxycons apart from having a backup?

The only thing I can think of is that you won't be running the units flat out and you will get a bigger flame?

Mart

Redhotsal

Uh, I have two lashed together and I run them flat out. BUT....my two are really old and I like a big flame as I often make 38mm lentil beads.

Having a back up is a big advantage as when the b*****s go wrong it's very frustrating.

However, if I were you I think I'd start with one and then if one is not enough I'd get another one. Unless there's a deal to be had by getting two together.

I have two oxys in my main studio but have only one oxy set up in my "holiday" studio and I do notice a difference. But then, I make beads for a living and it's largely a numbers game with me.

You really need to ask yourself what you're going to be doing.....since I don't know what you're going to be doing I have to make some assumptions....hobby bead maker? Then one should be plenty.

Sweat shop beadmaker working to a deadline with a big bloke weilding a whip over your shoulder? Two.....perhaps even three....(no, just joking about three  :P)

Boro curious.....want to do sculpture......or do you just want to make massive beads? Two.

HTH

Martman

Thanks RHS

There's a £60 saving but do I need the extra oxy for running a mega minor?

Mart

sparrow

Hi Mart, like Sally, I run my torch on two oxycons all the time - that's the mega-minor. If I use a larger torch, I have been known to run up to four in parallel....which is just plain greedy, lol! But I do mainly boro...sculpture...and boro sculpture :) A £60 saving might be a false saving if you decide you'll be perfectly happy with one oxycon - it might help to know at what stage you are in your glasswork, and what it is you're hoping to concentrate on, as Sal says :)
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

garishglobes

What they (insert 'up' arrows) said  :)

The torch isn't the issue as much as what you want to do with it. I ran a mega minor for a year on one oxycon with no problems at all and plenty of heat, but at the time I was making soft glass beads and the occasional small soft glass sculpture.

Martman

Thanks to you all

I'm just a beginner that cant resist a bargin, and always willing to take advice.
While I'm on the subject does any one use a Little Smiths Torch (for solering silver) see here http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smith-Equipment-23-1001D-23-1001d-Outfit/dp/B001DZIML0/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1319748240&sr=8-4
So I'm thinking have two one for glass and one for silver and when/if I need more oxygen I have it.

Mart

Ps any one seen a pair of true parallel mashers (one that works like a pair of parallel pliers)

Redhotsal

Quote from: Martman on October 27, 2011, 09:57:42 PM
Ps any one seen a pair of true parallel mashers (one that works like a pair of parallel pliers)

Nope, no such animal as far as I know. I have some mashers with a screw you can set which in theory makes them parallel but it's such a faff to set them to the right thickness ahead of the "squash". I usually find a graphite marver and a tile/graphite plate work just dandy.

mizgeorge

I use a Little Torch for some jobs - irritatingly, the standard propane connection for the UK is right, and the standard oxy connection for the US fits an oxycon with no need to change connectors...

As it's a simple screw on/off connection for the oxycon, I just swap as necessary, and keep my propane on a quick release valve.

As for the mashers, I have a coon valley press that does the job, though again, you do have to use washers to set the depth beforehand.

Martman

Thanks Sal & Miz

Miz have you ever used the smith to solder a 20mm x 2mm wide silver bangle or any thing of a similar size or bigger using the smith.  I had to use two propane torches to get the bangle hot enough for the solder to flow into the join.

Looks like I will have to make a pair of mashers.

Mart

mizgeorge

Mart,
You'd need to use one of the larger tips - even the casting head - for a job that size. I use either my orca (on tanked propane) with its largest head, or handhelds for this type of thing. I have a large handheld (PT-500) that will do the job on its own, but you risk overheating and ending up reticulating the surface, so two smaller torches actually does the job better.

Martman

Thanks Miz

Have I got the name right?
Yea I know what you mean but it's also a question of time.

Mart

mizgeorge

LOL, it's George, the miz just defines gender ;)

I reckon on soldering a bangle joint in between 20 and 30 seconds using hand torches or the orca.

Nick

I got a set of true parallel mashers from I think it was Plowden and Thompson at the Bonded Warehouse beadfare.
You could try ringing them to see if they have any, mine are great. Let me know if you want a picture to see if they are what you are after.

I run two oxycons on a midrange with a minor on top whether using the minor or midrange. I also use just one of the oxycons for a torch very similar to the Smiths but I have to turn the setting on the oxycon right down to just around 1/2 to 1.

As George said quick release are much easier. I have the two oxycons going into a Y connector which goes into a small piece of tube then into another Y connector with one line going to the glass torch and the other going to the silver torch. The advantage being I can use just one oxycon or both without having to rearrange tubing and connections and can use each torch without having to connect it.

Hope that's of some help!

Regards

Martman

Thanks Nick

I have email Plowden and Thompson no answer yet

Mart

Nick

Hi Mart,

It's probably better to ring them. Fantastic customer service from a very well established and reputable company, however glass is their point of excellence and not I.T

Regards

Nick