You've been here before, but here we go again, Which Kiln HELP Meeeeeeeeeee

Started by Batty, October 13, 2011, 02:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batty

Hi to everyone that reads this post, Kaz are you out there, it's me from Alderley, Fairlight ( but we've moved, so new house is called Troubadours )

Here we go then, I'm having a slight nightmare trying to decided which kiln to buy, I know some will say you can't have a "one kiln does all", but....

This is what the dilema is over; (is that how you spell dilemma?)

1 = I want to anneal my glass beads
2 = when one makes big focal beads or lentil pressed beads do they need to go straight into a front loading kiln or can they go into my bucket of, forgent what there called, bead bubble thermal things, then be fired later.

3 = I'd like to fuse and slump smallish glass items, jewellery, coasters

4 = use metal clays

can anyone help guild me, as this will be a major financial pay out for me I don't want to get it wrong.  

Cheers
Batty (Debs)
ps, Lee, if you read this, did you get anywhere with that Sc2 lookie likey?
Love and Peace to all people.. ;D

Lakelady

Hi, I am new to this and just got my kiln, having the same dilemma as you.  I went for a Promethius Pro 7.  It does all the things you want, has a bead door, is slightly bigger on the inside than the SC2 and is a bit cheaper too.  I am very happy with it.  I have had an SC2 in the past (but no bead door), which was fine - the programming is virtually the same.  Difficult isn't it!   :)
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Mand

Redkite

Quote from: Batty on October 13, 2011, 02:46:22 PM
2 = when one makes big focal beads or lentil pressed beads do they need to go straight into a front loading kiln or can they go into my bucket of, forgent what there called, bead bubble thermal things, then be fired later.

The bigger the bead, the more likely it is to crack in the bubbles. Also if the bead has been pressed or shaped, it is more likely to crack, so yes, the best option is to put it straight into a hot kiln

I also have an SC2 and have had no problems doing any of the little jobs you mentioned.

Batty

Sure is difficult lakelady, I need a bead door, so that's a start. :)
Mand and Redkite (great birds, loads in Henley where i was born n' raised, co-operation end of town though lol)  I was leaning towards the SC2 range.
I like to see it in the flesh though, shame I don't know anyone local with one.

Thanks for your replies

spexy

I'm in a similar situation to you Batty. I wondered about the Prometheus but it's acutally dearer at £575 than the SC2 with bead door at £559 from Tuffnells. May I ask where you saw it cheaper?

Blue Box Studio

Try Warm Glass, my SC2 was a lot cheaper from them than the others I looked at.  Granted I live down the road and could go and collect it but nevertheless....

I didn't have room for anything bigger than an SC2, and the Beadcube was too small for me so my choice was limited.  Anything bigger than a bead I put straight in the kiln, which dictates what I make in a session I guess.  I love my annealing bubbles for ordinary beads, just not larger ones as I find they crack.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Lakelady

The SC2 with bead door and viewing port is £589...the Promethius is £575 (with free shipping from Tuffnells) and the internal dimensions are bigger!  They seem much the same (having used both), so it really is down to personal taste I think.

I haven't lost anything to cracking (even very large beads and off mandrell stuff) since I got a slow cooker, took the liner dish out and filled it with mixed vermiculite and bubbles.  I leave it on high for an hour or so after the last bead goes in, then turn it to low for a while, then let it cool to room temp. 
Turner Rowe Glass Art

spexy

I wasn't going to get one with the viewing port. I suspect you made need that if you slump glass so that you can see what is happening. Is that right?

I'm not sure Tuffnells do free shipping. Maybe someone can correct me.

Lakelady

Tuffnells do free shipping on the Promethius - don't know about the Paragon one.  If a viewing port is really important to you, then the window on the SC2 is better than the Promethius (which is by way of a round hole - when annealing it doesn't get hot enough to give the glow that you get with other techniques, so it may well be adequate, the SC2 has a nice little square glass (?) window and you can see inside quite well)...but to get the bead door and the window, the SC2 is expensive.  The external dimensions of the SC2 & Promethius are the same.
Turner Rowe Glass Art

Zeldazog

Have you looked at the Paragon Caldera - that's another good "all rounder" - top loading, but fires on four sides, better for fusing as more even, but you can add a bead collar if you wish.

Batty

what's a bead collar?  ??? ;D getting more questions than answers now, still, all very good and exciting

Kaz

Hello again *waves*
I can't recommend the Maxine highly enough and the quality of the aftercare from Lee (and his lovely dad!) However, it is purely designed for annealing beads (and boy, does it take a lot of them!!!). The small beadcube will do the other jobs for you but it's very small for bead annealing, especially for garaging.
My own view from having an SC2 is that the bead door is insufficient and does not allow you to make full use of the kiln space if garaging. They are great for batch annealing though!
Kazx
She's made of real glass. She got real real emotion. But my heart laughs I have that same sweet devotion!

MadelineBunyan

Quote from: Kaz on October 14, 2011, 09:58:06 AM
My own view from having an SC2 is that the bead door is insufficient and does not allow you to make full use of the kiln space if garaging. They are great for batch annealing though!
Kazx

I dont find that. I can get loads in mine, and I very rarely batch! but then I have my own rack that I made from stainless steel mesh, which makes it easier, I didn't get on well with racks I've tried at other peoples studios. I have also taken off the door rack, I found it got in the way. I do have the occasional escapee, (usually 5mm mandrel, dont know why but they dont like to stay put!!) but its usually the one I've just put in so its not a problem. to me anyway, would probably frighten the pants off newbies, so I wouldn't exactly reccommend it!

all of that said, I would love a maxi, but I dont have the space. but if I did, somehow I dont think I could get rid of my sc2...

Zeldazog

Quote from: Batty on October 14, 2011, 09:46:05 AM
what's a bead collar?  ??? ;D getting more questions than answers now, still, all very good and exciting
If you look for a Paragon Caldera, there's a few places that sell them but I haven't got time to go hunting links for you at the moment (just google it) you will see what a bead collar is   ;D ;D