Tack fuse and slumping question

Started by Sandera, September 27, 2011, 02:04:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandera

Hi.

i've just done a commission for a returning customer. Its 6mm glass that is slumped already (about 20cm by 10cm). She has asked if I can tack fuse some small bits of frit on it. I really don't mind doing the whole thing from scratch as I need to build up a selection of samples anyway - BUT - does anyone know whether it's possible to do this? I was thinking of placing said piece back in slumping mould and re-firing at slumping temperature but with frit sprinkled (artistically!) on top.

What do you think - worth a try or cut my losses and start again.

Flippopotamus

If it's already slumped, how would you keep the frit in place, and stop it from sliding to the lowest part?  If the frit's only going on flat areas then you could probably get away with it, though ramp slowly so as not to shock the mould (going to tack temp might shorten the life of the mould a little as well)
Flip

♥♥Tan♥♥

Zeldazog

The glue would burn out before the tack fusing begins.

Check out the lowest temperature that you can tack fuse at - there's a really good comparison chart here from Bullseye, and you'll see tack fusing starts at the top of, and above, the slumping limits.

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/pdf/technotes_tipsheets/TechNotes_04.pdf

♥♥Tan♥♥

And so, Tan's very limited knowledge of fusing shines again, what shall I suggest next, sellotape ;D

Zeldazog

Quote from: ♥♥Tan♥♥ on September 27, 2011, 07:21:38 PM
And so, Tan's very limited knowledge of fusing shines again, what shall I suggest next, sellotape ;D

;D ;D ;D

Sandera

Thanks all. Interesting that about the effect on the slumping mould - that hadn't occurred to me. The fusing schedule will come in handy - thanks for that. I think it could work as the slump is very shallow and the bits shouldn't congregate too much in the hollows. Worth a try I say! And if it doesn't work there's always the sellotape. :D

Pat from Canvey

If it's a tack fuse, won't the bits of frit make the bowl have a rough internal surface? I would have thought a start again with full fuse of the frit might be the better option if your customer agrees.

Sandera

Well it didn't work. I didn't take the temperature high enough ('cos i was in too much of a hurry to get it going). You were quite right - the glass did migrate to the lowest dips. Hey ho! - nothing lost but a good lesson learned. ::)

♥♥Tan♥♥

See, it would have worked if you had tried the sellotape, oh ye of little faith :D

Lucas

Always with the sellotape!  ;D ;D

You know, my other half keeps asking what would happen if he put one of his socks in my kiln.  I have told him there would be nothing left but he keeps on...I know one day I'm going to come home and find my kiln on with socks in because he had cold feet and decided to warm up the socks!
::)

Pat from Canvey

There is Provetro fusers glue. Buy it in powder form and dilute as indicated.

♥♥Tan♥♥

Don't try it, they burn to nothing before you even realise they are warm, believe me I know :-[

Lucas

Thanks Tan, I'll tell him!
Fingers crossed that'll stop him doing any experimenting of his own... ::)

Pat from Canvey

Better for him to use the oven    :o  :o  :o I will admit to putting some clothing on the radiators in the middle of winter. Just to have something warm to put on the next morning.