tumbling

Started by Karen, June 08, 2010, 08:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karen

ok probably daft questions, I wanted to try tumbling some beads next week what do I have in the tumbler ? is it the shot for silver or the stuff for the stones? next how long do I leave the beads in the tumbler    ;D ;D thanks for any help
Karen

Stupid people shouldn't breed, but they DO!!

amareargentum

When I did mine I put the beads in with some pebbles (the barrel needs to be reasonably full and I didn't have many beads) and the course grade of grit. I tumbled for 24 hours, checking every so often. They all seemed to come out just fine - well how I wanted themk anyway.

HTH
Amanda

Ilona

What sort of pebbles did you use, and did you add water?

I have a tumbler but no shot so haven't used it yet.

amareargentum

I just used some beach pebbles that I have collected over the years and thought I would get round to polishing at some point. The barrel needs to be about half full. I then added the grit and enough water to just cover the beads/pebbles.

If you are going to use your barrel for polishing with shot then I don't think it advisable to use it for grit as well. Little bits oif the grit can get stuck in the wall of the barrel and scratch what you are trying to polish. I have a separate barrel for the abrasive part of the process.

Karen

Karen

amareargentum

I probably should also have said that I was aiming for the sea glass look, hence the pebbles. It worked really well. If you were looking for something nearer the look of an etched bead you may want to use something smoother (less hard too) as the "filler". I'm sure that I have read somewhere about using Pony beads for this. Have no idea where you would get them though.

Karen

I just wanted to try the tumble with beads Amanda, I will have a few goes with fuggly beads to see what effect I like, I can trot down to the beach this afternoon and get some pebbles
Karen

arachnia

Hi

I am interested in this can someone advise exactly what I need to tumble for the etched look please.

Also will any kind of tumbler do?

TIA
Vickie
]

Lush!

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

mizgeorge

I've had good results with little cut up pieces of wet and dry paper, in water, in the tumbler for faux etching. I can't remember where I read about this technique, but it does work.

KatheL

I use a tumbler like this, I have a separate barrel for the steelshots for polishing:
http://www.metalclays.com/category/149-tumblers-and-media.aspx
As a tumbling media I use some green plastic pyramids, as shown on the same page, but why not pebbles...
The most important thing is using the right grinding powder, it MUST be Silicon carbide. The other kinds won't do anything on the glass! I use a grit 220.
I fill up the drum to about half full of plastic thingies, add 2-3 tablespoons of silicon carbide, drop the beads in and fill up with water to 3/4 full.
To get at good result I let it roll for 12 hours. I tried with 6 hours, that was barely enough.
Remember not to be disappointed when you check the beads, you can't see the effect until it is dry!
I use this method consequently in stead of etching.
To find these remedies, google for lapidary, stone polishing drum.
Kathe, Denmark
Kathe Lewis,
Denmark
Single fuel torch user