Where should I start looking?

Started by Lucas, September 24, 2011, 08:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas

Hi everyone, I have a really lazy question - where should I start looking for places to sell? Obviously I've been keeping my eyes open locally for any posters etc, and have tried a few internet searches but don't seem to be having much luck.  I thought now would be the kind of time I'd be able to organise something, getting on to Christmas and all, but can't find anything anywhere!
I'm in Bristol and can travel a little but as I can't drive at the moment (no, not lost my licience, just have a temporary brain leaking thing which means I've chosen not to for a bit!) I would need lifts to and from from hubby, complete with three children and a wheelchair in the car, so wouldn't want to go miles and miles.
Any ideas?  Websites to check out, places you've been and would (or wouldn't!) go again - any info would be great!
L

SRJ

I have found most through following up friends of friends etc on facebook

sarah t

Lakelady

I have been looking too - it might be a different story in the Bristol area but all craft/Christmas fairs in the South East of England are booked up already!
Turner Rowe Glass Art

JaySpangles

Same up north. Think you have to book Christmas things a long way in advance. Even the ones with space available are full for jewellery.

Blue Box Studio

I book nearly all of my fairs by the end of the year before.  Most of mine aren't local - I go as far afield as Salisbury, Ross on Wye, Newton Abbot.  There are a few Made in Weston ones over in Weston-s-Mare, but they are not strickly WsM people as I know someone else from Clevedon who was doing them.  There will be some outdoor kiosks near St Nicks market near Christmas but suspect they are £££.  There's Made in Bristol at the Colston Hall but it's probably £40 a day.  Many I've done in the past wouldn't be totally accessible and a few more would frown on having your children on the stall unless they are very well behaved; it's a long day for children to sit around unless they are old enough to wander around on their own.  Have you tried local schools, they usually have a Christmas fair and usually start inviting much later?  If you find a local fair to go to, ask the stall holders wshere else they do.  Or search a few local people's websites and see where they are going to be, it might give you some new leads.

Having moved to this area in 2003, I'll vouch it's not been easy to find new fairs to do.  I could so with some more but am quite fussy, I've done too many duff fairs in the past.  Good organisers seem to be a bit thin on the ground in this area.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

suzielaws

If your just starting out with fairs have you thought about school christmas ladies/shopping nights? There are so many going on in Bristol and Bath and if you try and contact them for the pta secretary number they are often less organised and can fit you in. I do some in my local area and usually do well so it may be worth a try.

The Tartan Trout

Village Christmas Fetes are always good, ideal if you have the kids with you too, although careful they don't spend more than you make ;)

Mand

I started off doing some small village hall/school fair events - contacted the organisers and asked if any stalls were still available.  Then I got talking to other stall holders explaining I knew diddly squat and asked where they were booked for/ or would recommend.  Generally stall holders are friendly and willing to share info especially when you're fist starting out.  We've had  a few Macmillan type coffee morning things going on round here recently - I haven't actually done any but I bet you have some coming up in your area too, and if you can find out where they are on and who is organising them....  Perhaps some school Chirstmas fairs would be good for you?  I've heard that private school ones are always good to go to as people tend to have more to spend.  We've also had a few "Ladies Wellbeing"/Pamper shopping evenings in our area - perhaps look out for those? .... and keep talking to folks and enquiring ... word of mouth seems to be the key.  Good luck. ;)

Lucas

Thank you so much everyone - I have a list of phone numbers / email addresses to start with tomorrow - fingers crossed some of them still have a space left! 
Lucas