Mr trading standards paid me a visit :-0

Started by Helen G, August 04, 2011, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helen G

Quote from: sea-thistle on August 04, 2011, 10:37:37 PM
Years ago I was at an Agricultural Show and Trading standards stopped to talk to me, they introduced themselves, were very pleasant and gave me advise. That I needed a hallmark display card, how to get it( it cost at least £20 then) checked that I had sterling silver marked on things that were, and prices. They took my card and I received a Business info pack from them.They were very pleasant and trying to help.
This guy seemed to be fairly reasonable so hopefully I'll get a business pack and not a fine  :o He gave me the link for the notice  :)

sea-thistle

I think they are after the really bad guys! counterfeit goods, items that look like silver and are not, the ones you see on tv, Fake Britain! lol

flowerjasper

hope a pack and not a fine arrives, ;)
thank you for giving us the "heads up" and the download,
best wishes ,
sandy x

Blue Box Studio

You'll be fine, they just need to keep a record of who they've seen.  Might check you are registered for tax and class 2 NI, often the different agencies work together on this sort of thing.  I find people either ignore the posters, and they take up a lot of space on a 6' stall, or you get some geek who wants to know more about hallmarks than you'll ever know and then not buy anything.  I paid a lot for my original one, but did finds the free download one which I have laminated and usually pin to the front of my stall, obvious but not taking up space.
Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Helen G

That's a good idea Sue, pinning it to front so as not to take valuable stock space!

MadelineBunyan

hmmm, must introduce mine to the laminator. dont know where either is atm though!
what a good idea!

Helen G

Quote from: faith on August 04, 2011, 10:21:03 PM
Helen I would imagine all the assay offices use the same guidelines but I can only speak for Edinburgh - if I send off anything with copper & silver mix it has to be listed on a seperate hallnote and marked with the sterling mark and the other metals mark.   The reason for the weight issue and separate marks  is apparently so that nobody can be fooled into thinking that the whole item is silver - seems a bit OTT to me but what can you do? Its the reason I stopped making my maille bracelets in copper & silver mix - its just not cost effective to have the odd bracelet hallmarked seperately.

If I make copper with silver accents I just dont write down that it contains sterling!

just checked out my assay offiice and found the rules changed for items of mixed metals in 2007 and I would have sent this for hallmarking around 1998!

Lotti

Sure you will be OK Helen :)  I am wondering about all the other stalls at the market I go to, lots of people sell antique silver jewellery, but I have never seen a sign up anywhere.  Think laminating would be an excellent plan, have to find a friend I think.

Blue Box Studio

You can buy cold laminating sheets, a bit like sticky back plastic; Smiths or Rymans will have them.  I laminated mine and bought some cardboard stand thingies from Retif to stick on the back so I can pin or stand. 
Sue

Lotti

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on August 05, 2011, 04:22:20 PM
You can buy cold laminating sheets, a bit like sticky back plastic; Smiths or Rymans will have them.  I laminated mine and bought some cardboard stand thingies from Retif to stick on the back so I can pin or stand. 

Ah, brilliant, will have a look.

I have a question.   There is a local farm shop who is going to be selling my jewellery (should have got it there by now to catch the visitors, but been a bit tied up with other stuff).  Presumably, she will need to display one of these signs too?

Blue Box Studio

Yes.  If it's being sold it should have a hallmark card.  I paid a fortune for my proper one years ago, so free download is good in my book.  I'm not sure I've ever had anyone obviously stop and read it though.  Anyone else ever stopped and read one?
Sue

sea-thistle

No I've never had anyone stop and read one! Also as someone has just said I have seen quite a few stalls selling sterling silver jewellery without one of these cards. Like you I paid a fortune for mine. Glad to see you can print one off now.

stuwaudby

Just downloaded mine.

I think it is very unlikely you will be prosecuted. If he had that in mind he would have been taking photographs to use as proof that you were not displaying one.

chipperpottery

I always put my Hallmarking sheet up, also I down loaded it.

ScarletLeonard

Quote from: Blue Box Studio on August 08, 2011, 10:56:30 AM
Yes.  If it's being sold it should have a hallmark card.  I paid a fortune for my proper one years ago, so free download is good in my book.  I'm not sure I've ever had anyone obviously stop and read it though.  Anyone else ever stopped and read one?

I have had one person (in 3 years) read it, it was the first thing they looked at and the first thing they said to me was 'so are your pieces all hallmarked' i then had to explain the weight thing (but I pointed it out on the sign too.)