Mr trading standards paid me a visit :-0

Started by Helen G, August 04, 2011, 08:42:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helen G

Today was my first "proper" stand at a show, I did a small village hall thing earlier this year but this was our local agricultural show which I believe is the largest 1 day show in the UK.
About 3 hours in I had a badge thrust under my nose and yes he introduced himself as trading standards.
Now as a silversmith (before I fell in love with glass) I thought I knew the "rules" anything I sell over the weight limit carries a hallmark but what I didn't know was if I am stating that components are silver, over weight or not, then I need to display the official notice which he advised me can be downloaded here http://www.bis.gov.uk/britishhallmarkingcouncil/new/dealers-notice
What was annoying is I have an old style notice in my studio but I thought as it was out of date I would potentially get "told off" for displaying it and thought I'd be better of not displaying anything.....wrong! He said that would have been better than nothing at all.
He asked or a business card  :o :-\ so I'm now hoping there is nothing incriminating on there :-\

Les

Lotti

I had heard this actually and was planning on downloading the thing for my next market day at Hatherleigh, seems a bit extreme for a bit of silver wire in a pair of earrings!  Hope it went well otherwise though. :)

MangoBeads

Awgh Helen thats such bad luck on your first big outing you poor love ... I am sure nothing more will come of it , but its not nice none the less .. off to download now xxx
Did you do well otherwise ?

MangoBeads

What i don't understand is the notice says Ask if its Hallmarked .its your guarantee .. well it won't be will it if its under a certain weight ?

The Tartan Trout

Does this mean that any of us who sell anything with the smallest amount of silver in it need to display the notice?

So apart from the mean old man Helen, how was it?

MadelineBunyan

oooh er. I had heard they like to visit and demand to know where that poster is.

the poster does state that items over 7.78g have to be hallmarked, so presumably people will have to work out for themsleves that a pair of earwires does not weigh as much as that.

hope it went well otherwise! :)

LampyLou

Yikes.  There are so many things to learn about selling, if I didn't need to do it I would be totally scared off.

I have now downloaded and printed.  Thank you so much for the warning.

I hope the rest of the day was a success.

Julia x

Lyn G

Ooh Helen....that doesn't sound like a very nice experience!   :o :o

I have only sold at local village fairs and didn't know anything about displaying a notice.  Thanks for the warning.....I had better download it now!   ::) ::)

Ilona

I bet that was a bit of a shock Helen. Thanks for the link I have downloaded it now.
I hope you had a good day in the end.

Helen G

I did OK thanks ladies, I set myself a target and went just a little over it and considering the old regulars said it was quieter than normal I think that was good.

I mr trading standards that i had my own hallmark registered with sheffield assay office (which i do) and none of the items for sale were over 7.78g (which was a slight fib as 2 bracelets with Bali beads are over  :-[) to let him know i had made an effort to conform but what he said to me was "the minute you use the word silver (I had a notice saying Sterling silver chains) then regardless of weight you need a notice" so faith you're there.

I'm not sure about the mixed items though as I once made a woven pendant with copper and silver returned unmarked by Sheffield because of the copper content - although there was more silver than copper  ??? But on the other hand when I had a gallery and bought jewellery from a lady that used lots of monkume gain (may not be spelt right  :-\) which for those who don't know is layers of metals, usually copper and silver, domed in places and then filed down in areas to look kind of marbled, it was always hallmarked!  ???

ScarletLeonard

Aww Helen sorry this happened to you. Hope that nothing to heavy comes of it.

I knew about the notice from the long hallmarking discussions here, I display it regardless. I took it into one of the stores that stocks my jewellery and she didn't know about it even though there are others in there selling over weight silver items.

They do need to make it clearer. I would never have found out if I didn't come here.

Calico Cat

I use silver wire and some of George's sterling findings - way under 7g per piece - and I don't usually describe as sterling silver - but I think I'll print the notice and put it up with the one about lampwork beads "just in case".

I remember a real fuss at Alexandra Palace a couple of years ago - guy was selling what said they were silver and gold chains - not sure what happened but the police came and hauled him away on the Saturday - left his stand cordened off with black and yellow crime scene tape! Always assumed they were nicked but who knows . . . .

Watch this space for new Etsy shop . . .

sea-thistle

Years ago I was at an Agricultural Show and Trading standards stopped to talk to me, they introduced themselves, were very pleasant and gave me advise. That I needed a hallmark display card, how to get it( it cost at least £20 then) checked that I had sterling silver marked on things that were, and prices. They took my card and I received a Business info pack from them.They were very pleasant and trying to help.

JewelsK

I always have a notice up at bead fairs, even though none of the Hill Tribe Silver items I sell are over the weight.

Knowing my luck I'd be picked on if I forgot the blighter!