cracked mould advice needed

Started by Lucas, July 26, 2011, 05:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas

Okay, I need experienced people's advice with this one!  I got some moulds from warm glass when they had that sale on last week, and when I got them all out of the boxes to prime them one has a hairline crack.  I've emailed warm glass and they've said to email a pic, and if it's still usable they could refund me a bit of the money so it works out cheaper, or else credit my account with what I paid if it's no good.
I'm not sure what to do, but on closer inspection there's not just the crack, it also kind of looks like it has been patched up once already, as the mould is completely smooth except for a couple of gentle bumps right around where the crack is.  Now I know warm glass will be fair about this, I'm just after some info on slumping mould cracks.  Will it last pretty much the same as one without the crack, or is it just a matter of time til the crack grows and I lose the mould?
Anyone used moulds with cracks and have info to share?
L

hollergrafik

I would just send it back, it's faulty, have it replaced.

jammie

yep me too, simplist and the right thing to do! :)

dinah46

Any marks on the mould will transfer to your glass, if it stays in one piece :o 
I'd send it back for replacement.

Lucas

I emailed the pics and then was a little surprised to see today that they have issued a credit for the mould - they apparently didn't think it would be usable (I also mentioned the slight bumps as if a repair had already been made).
Problem is, they have credited what it cost me - the vat and cost of the mould, but of course it was 30% off, so the amount of credit issued doesn't actually cover the cost of me purchasing the same mould.
Am I being really picky asking for a replacement?  I have emailed and asked for this, and it wouldn't cost them on postage as I was going to pop in in the next week or so to get some frit, and could pick up the mould at the same time.
So, tell me, am I being cheeky or just standing up for myself?
??? ??? ???
Lucas

jammie

I would think a replacement would be fair, if they don't have a replacement at all then a refund, but yep, I think they should replace the item as that's what you bought and it was faulty.  :)

Lucas

They have now issued another credit to my account, though they haven't replied to my email!  So now I've ordered another mould the same as the faulty one, and will pick it up tomorrow.  Thanks for the support guys, I got there in the end!  Now I have to carefully craft an email 'thank you' for doing as I'd asked!
;D

laurat

They are usually very good at sorting things out.

And I'm in a sulk now that you are close enough that you can pop in! I went last month on the way back from holiday and I loved it, just seeing everything and being able to ask questions there and then, it was as they say in the disney advert - magical!!!!

Lucas

I live in South Bristol, so it's less than 20 mins to warm glass, and the same to get to creative glass guild - didn't realise how close the places were when I got into this, definately handy for avoiding postage costs!
;D ;D ;D
We couldn't move anyway, my eldest son has complex medical and developmental needs - he has ...I think six...no...seven consultants at the Bristol Children's hospital, so we'd be there every couple of weeks where ever in the south west we lived!  We need to be within eight ambulance minutes of A+E, and we're on the edge of that range here. 

Don't sulk about where I live - just move here instead!!
;D ;D ;D

laurat

Bristol is a lovely city, but sadly the man of the house loves his job/boss just a bit too much to think about moving!!

Plus I would miss my Mum too much!

But I know that we are visiting cornwall in september so a possiblt stop off on the way there/way back will keep me going for a bit!

L

Lucas

But how to fit all that glass in the car with all that holiday stuff!!
;D

laurat

I always leavea little sneaky space that I can fit in some glass goodies! I also have an expert packer in the husband - he loved tetris as a child!

Pat from Canvey

Quote from: laurat on July 27, 2011, 11:27:37 PM
- he loved tetris as a child!
I still play Polytris on my computer, courtesy of the DOSBOX program which allows you to play old DOS games on Windows 7 computers.