Wholesale type selling

Started by laurat, July 26, 2011, 04:55:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laurat

I'm not sure if wholesale is the right term to use but I have been asked if I would be willing to sell to someone who has stalls at fairs. Still not a very good explination!!

A lad who was at the same fair as me at the weekend asked for my details as she wanted me to make a soap dish for her newly decoarted bathroom.

She emailed me today to ell me what colours she wants and also asked if I would be interested in having selling some of my glass to her for her stall - she sells homeware in country kitchen/shabby chic/ratten bags etc.

I haven't replied to her yet as I am not sure how to work out the pricing. I don't want to over price myself or even under price myself. She has assured me that she would not sell my items should we be at the same place again.

I am a little bit excited and a little bit wary too. Does anyone have any experiece of this or even some words of wisdom for me to ponder?

Laura x

sparrow

Selling for retail is a whole minefield in and of itself, but I think you've cracked the main issue - have you priced your items in such a way that you could easily sell them at a cut and still make a profit, or would you need to put your own prices up, and if you did, would people still buy from you? It might be worth thinking about what percentage you'd be willing to give, and take it from there?
Sabine x

www.littlecastledesigns.co.uk www.facebook.com/littlecastledesigns Ring Top Tutorial

laurat

Thanks, I think I need to look at my own pricing for a start, I have lots of new ideas so I am looking at pricing for those so will take it from there.

L

noora

If you sell them "wholesale" you'll be selling a whole bunch at once for much less time and effort than usual. No stall fees, listing fees, marketing etc. Also you'll get your money up front and don't have to worry about if or when the stuff will sell. The amount you cut from the price should cover all that for the buyer, since that's what they will be doing. If you find you can't cut that much, you're not getting paid for all your work ;)

laurat

I spent today in the shedio cutting and measuring the glass I use for different items. I have now about a weeks worth of firing to do.

I have always bought mixed off cut packs of glass so far but I think that I am going to look at the cost of buying the smae glass by the sheet for the cost.

I also have the dilema of charging for my time, part of the glass work is the enjoyment of it, its my escape from the rushing around of daily life. Does anyone have any thoughts on that? I am off now to have a good look round the pricing threads for advice!

Thanks for you for your thoughts so far

L