Frit-Happens !
December 12, 2019, 12:59:30 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
your ad here
News:
Where are you?? Add yourself to the NEW FHF map here  | On flickr? Join our Frit Happens group: here

VISIT THE WIKI HERE
Get FH Status updates via twitter @FritHappens

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Silencing my fan...  (Read 1989 times)
helenfc
....Dotty....
Forum Member

Rocking Raku

« on: July 24, 2011, 12:57:37 PM »

My ventilation is a progrow one, I got it aaaaages ago, and they were out of stock of the 2 smaller ones so I got a pretty big one, which is a good plan, as I'm potentially moving to a big studio to share with a friend in September. Only thing is, its really really noisy, doesnt bother me, I just turn the radio up louder, but if I'm sharing with someone its not really fair. Does anyone have any bright suggestions about how I can silence it on the cheap? Thanks xx

helbels
Proudly achieving mediocrity since Sept 2009.
Forum Member

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »

Well the silencers that progrow sell are really just a set of lagging round the ducting, to insulate it a bit and reduce the noise.  So I'm guessing that a thick layer of wadding of some kind round it would probably do the job.

MadelineBunyan
*insert custom title here*
Forum Member

Devon Glass Addict

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 01:06:16 PM »

being as you have a powerful fan, you could simply set up the new studio so that the fan is as near as possible to the outlet, and a long hose going to the torch, this will mean the fan is further away from your ears, but it has another benefit, because the air in that section of pipe is being sucked through, if you have a slight gap anywhere, it gets sucked straight on past, instead of being leaked back into your breathing air.

Shirley
Forum Member

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 01:24:30 PM »

You could put it in a wooden box with some sort of insulation or lagging over the box. Just make sure that there is some ventilation so the motor doesn't overheat. I've seen it done with generators pretty effectively.

Val Cox Frit - Thai and Bali Silver 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: