which primer for moulds?

Started by Lucas, July 06, 2011, 11:05:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas

I have bullseye shelf primer, which I seem to have got the hang of for the shelves, but I have a mould and a fused piece all ready to go but am womdering about priming the mould...
It's only a little one (hang on, I'll try and get the link)...http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/extra-small-square-slumper-with-flat-base-p-2979.html
and since I have bullseye primer and primo primer
http://www.warm-glass.co.uk/primo-primer-p-2808.html
...I don't know which to use!  Obviously the kiln isn't going to be as hot as a full fuse, and I want to minimise the number of times I have to un prime the mould (if that makes sense!).  I use a paint scraper on the shelf which works fine, but would obviously not be good for the mould, so I think I'm leaning towards the primo - and thoughts/suggestions/advice/recommendations?
L

ARBeads

We went on a days course with the lovely Dawn (Zeldazog) and primo is the way to go with the molds. We'd already tried the shelf primer and failed - result one glass heart that refuses to budge.

Ruth & Andy

www.etsy.com/shop/arjewellery for beads!

Zeldazog

Previously, I've always used Bullseye primer for moulds, probably mainly because Primo didn't exist when I got them!

You're right, they don't go anywhere near as hot - and as a result, you shouldn't get issues of flaking like you do with a shelf.  I think I have only re-coated the most used mould once since I bought it, 3 years (and several firings) ago.  I didn't try and take the original layer off, I simply applied more, so I think removal is only an issue once you get broken edges on the primer.

This all said, if you have Primo, I'd be tempted to use it as it *is* designed to go higher anyway.

Sarah A

I have the same mould and have coated it with bullseye as it was the one I had.  It has been fired at least five times since I first coated it and is still fine.

Lucas

Thanks guys, okay, moulds have been coated with the primo this morning, and I will be turning on the oven first thing tomorrow - figure 24 hours should be enough drying time!  Will let you know how it turns out - I'm wanting nice evenly slumped glass, easy to get out of the moulds, and moulds that still look primed (and in one piece obviously!)  Wonder what my chances are...!

Lucas

All three pieces came out looking really good, so I am exceptionally pleased with myself, to the point of even feeling a little bit smug!
;D ;D ;D

However.....
??? ??? ???
All three moulds now look a little dusty (no primer on the glass at all), and I'm trying to work out of the primer is still on them or not - I know it may sound daft, but the moulds are ceramic and sometimes the colours confuse me.  So, do I need to brush them out and re-prime, or can I use them again without re-priming? (I know that probably isn't a real word, but I figured you'd know what I meant!)  I don't want to wreck the moulds (obviously) but also don't want to waste time/energy/money putting primer on moulds that don't need it!!

See how long my smug moment lasted there?  Not very.

L