USING LAMPWORK BEADS IN JEWELLERY DESIGNS

Started by meliom, August 04, 2007, 12:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meliom

Hi I have a quick question on etiquette.  I make jewellery and currently sell through party plan but I am currently setting up a website. 

It will be a long time before my lampwork beads are saleable, if ever, but would love to use them in my designs and I was wondering when you buy lampwork beads on ebay or from websites, should you ask the artist first if it is OK to buy them to make them up into a piece of jewellery to sell them, or is it just assumed?  I will make the necessary accreditation to the artists, but just want to ensure I do not do anything wrong, upset anyone or get sued!

Any advice would be appreciated.
mel

Funky Cow

I have aklways tried to credit the artist when I've used their beads in my jewellery deisgns.
Having said that, if anyone here notices that I've used their beads and I haven't named them, then it's because my bead boxes got untidy and I lost the little cards I put in to help me remember who made what   ;)
Cathryn xxx     

My Etsy: http://funkycow.etsy.com

nemeton

Wow, imagine, a lampie collection so big you can actually forget who made what  :o... I dream of the day when that happens to me!
I like to credit the bead artist too, I know we buy these little bits of art as 'components' but the process of making something with them is more like a collaboration, both beadmaker and designer contribute to the finished piece so it's only fair to give credit to the beadmaker too.
Lynn

Keep up with me on Facebook or my blog

mizgeorge

I try to always credit the artist (either by name or studio name) - though there are those who prefer not to be named. I try to send them a picture or link of anything I make with their beads as well - some like to use them in galleries.

Sadly, most of the buying public haven't a clue what I'm talking about  ::)

george. :)

meliom