Beach Glass Tumbling

Started by CelticGlass, July 06, 2007, 12:51:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CelticGlass

I was dead lucky last week and got myself a brand new gem stone tumbler on Ebay for £18.

Yesterday I put a heep of broken glass pieces in to tumble with a medium grit silica carbide water mix. 12 hours to get all the edges deburred and smooth looking.

Today I drilled the holes thru the corners of all the polished glass pieces with my diamond dremel and then set about polishing them up with some oil to back fill the grain from tumbling them. "Amber solaire" sun tan oil is good and be sure to rub off the surplus vigorously.

If you dont do this then the glass looks dry and powdery and will stain from hand grease or whatever you have as natural oils in your skin.

This tumbling action is the same as etching only no acid or grit blasting cabinet required.

Gonna make a piece up over the weekend to put on here...  and all from broken bottles.

CelticGlass

The beach glass as promised...well tumbled glass then.  I'm learning from this first go and the answers are staring at you. Size of pieces - Shape of pieces - perhaps mix some green wine bottle glass also.

Obviously the focal is ...well...not recycled glass and has a Michael Barley switchabead pin. The little white beads either side came out a lovely matt finish from tumbling also.