New Progrow ventilation system

Started by Ant, July 14, 2011, 10:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ant

As mentioned in the General Discussions thread, I've just installed a new ventilation system from Progrow, including a galvanized steel hood which they're just starting to produce (I don't think it's on their website yet though).

I found it a bit of a minefield trying to work out what size of fan to buy as there seems to be some confusion over whether it's the area above the torch which is most important or the volume of the room!  I am sure that the area catchment area above the torch is important but decided to go for belt and braces and invest in a hood that would achieve the recommended 6 air changes per hour.  Our garage has a volume of approx 29 cubic metres and I purchased the RVK125L1 http://www.progrow.co.uk/acatalog/info_4329.html which at 342 cubic metres per hour is more than adequate but not too powerful that it effects the torch flame.  To fit best on top of the steel hood, it really needs to be one of the RVK fans.

The ducting is 5" diameter acoustic which helps to keep the noise down and, whilst inevitably the motor and air passage do make a noise, I don't find the set up too noisy at all, although people's perception of noise can be very subjective.  To give some idea of the noise output it is a little noisier than the oxycon.

Overall I'm really pleased with the extraction and can't speak highly enough of Steve at Progrow, who has been extremely helpful all the way through, so many thanks Steve!   ;D

dangerousbead

Wow what a neat work area. Thanks for the information, it all looks really professional.

Kalorlo

Where does the 6 air changes per hour figure come from? If that's for a grow room, it isn't really relevant to us, because we aren't concerned with changing all the air in the room, just with extracting fumes.

The hood looks pretty good!  ;D

Krysia@No98

It's a lampworking specification not a gardening thing.  ;)

I looks great and the guys at progrow are lovely and very helpful.
-* -  Courage is going from failure to failure with out loosing enthusiasm -*-

Ant

Quote from: Kalorlo on July 15, 2011, 09:56:01 AM
Where does the 6 air changes per hour figure come from? If that's for a grow room, it isn't really relevant to us, because we aren't concerned with changing all the air in the room, just with extracting fumes.

The hood looks pretty good!  ;D

The air changes also relate to kitchen cooker hoods (I'm a kitchen designer) which is more similar to lamp-working extraction in that the hood is placed over the source of smells, but I'm sure you're right about extracting just the area around the torch.  Being super cautious though I just thought I'd cover myself from all angles!!