HH flame keeps going out?

Started by Sheena, September 08, 2011, 06:57:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheena

Hi,
Just did my 1st propane bottle change. Couldn't get it to light at all (never had problems before). After following advice about 3 pages back it's now lighting but flame just goes out after 1-2 mins ???
Any idea's
Sheena  ???

helbels

Is your propane regulator screwed all the way down and hothead knob turned open just a bit?

cbeadies

I often find the flame goes out once or twice when I first light it, before it seems to settle down. I have a foil 'collar' on the torch for reducing, and I usually pull that up over the holes when lighting, seems to make it easier to light.

Sheena

Yep,
I pulled the collar up to get it to light but after I drop the collar it stays going for a couple of mins then suddenly goes out ?
I've tried the valves every which way.....Seems to make no difference, the flame is fab then seems to go out for no reason. Can't work out how it can burn for 1 - 3 minutes then .....nothing.
Very confused......
Sheena  ???

Steampunkglass

Have you tried turning the flame up a little more? I remember being really over cautious when I first started and couldn't get it to light because I wasn't turning it up enough

Veebee

Also make sure the propane is turned on as fully as possible, and please check for leaks before you try again  :-[
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

Redhotsal

Just a quickie - your regulator will have a left hand thread which means that you need to turn the regulator clockwise to turn it on. It's not like turning on a water tap - just the opposite. You probably know this but it's worth asking as it has caught out many souls on here whose hotheads are going out because they haven't actually got the gas turned on. ;)

Sheena

Hi,
Yes.
All ready made the 'turning the wrong way' mistake with last bottle  :-\ .
Turned it up -  to no avail.
Had hubby try (fireman - so not afraid of turning it up).....................
.................................................................................
Sheena

dangerousbead

Has an insect moved in to your hose connector. I had a spider in mine once which slowed the flow.

flame n fuse

Is the gas still coming out when it goes out? I found that my hothead would blow itself out sometimes just after lighting. Best if just light the edge of the flame, with low gas flow, then turn it up when the flame was stable.
If the gas isn't coming out, then it's a different kind of problem.

Sheena

Hi,
Had it alight for a whole 4 minutes before it went out . Like the insect idea...something's not right. Think i will get hubby to disconnect everything in the morning and see if there's anything in the pipes that shouldn't be there.
I take it there's no such thing as a dodgy batch of propane?
Sheena

Redhotsal

I would probably try again with the regulator set at halfway.

I'm thinking that a new bottle of propane has more pressure and that the gas pressure combined with the air being pulled through the venturi (holes at the base of the torch) is simply blowing out the torch.

What I would do is - turn down the regulator a little and semi cover the holes - make a foil collar and "half" cover the holes. Relight the torch. The torch will burn with a softer flame. LEAVE it to do this for a couple of minutes, or until the cowl of the torch has warmed up.

When the torch is hot you should be able to slip off the foil collar and the torch should stay lit.  

Sheena

Update.....
With hubby's help I disconnected the hoses and out popped a piece of lint or something similar. All re-connected and now working fine  ;D

Thank-you so much to everyone that took time to offer advice.
Sheena