Stuck Bead!

Started by Lush!, July 02, 2011, 01:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lush!

I had a proper panic this morning!

I was already a day late on a magazine deadline, having made more than half a dozen focal beads which were just not good enough to send in with the project I've been working on, so I was very relieved when I took the "Perfect Bead" out of the kiln this morning (the only bead in the kiln, in fact, so it was extra precious!).

Of course it wouldn't come off the mandrel.  A 3mm mandrel at that!  I did the usual cold soak, held the mandrel with pliers, held the bead with a cloth, got it halfway off but it just wouldn't budge any further.  Then I tried to get it back the other way - and got it stuck, right back where I started.  I even tried oiling the mandrel!

Eventually got my dad to have a go - mole grips and WD40 did the trick, thank goodness!

So my new top tip for stubborn beads is WD40, miracle stuff  ;D ;D

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com

awrylemming

Cor, what a relief!  I'm glad it was ok Julie, imagine the panic  :o ;D

Dragonfire Glass

hee hee I can just imagine you dancing around cursing this little bit of glass on a stick  :D

Curlybird

Now that image made me chuckle....   ;D ;D ;D
Anne

Fruddy

Blimey Julie, I bet that brought you out in a major cold sweat!!

Glad you got it sorted!!

GaysieMay

Dads are bloody marvellous aren't they?  Glad you're back on track?  Which mag is it for and when?
www.GaysieMay.etsy.com
www.facebook.com/gaysiemay

ScarletLeonard

Quote from: GaysieMay on July 02, 2011, 05:49:31 PM
Which mag is it for and when?

Yes do tell.

Evil bead though obviously it didn't want to leave you. Glad it's all sorted now though.

I have a lovely pair of pliers for yoinking beads off mandrels, I bought a load of multi tools and they have a little hole in them - conveniently the right size to properly grip a 2mm mandrel. Mind I can't get beads off with out them.

Veebee

Glad you got it eventually Julie!
I find this happens when I'v been really struggling with a stubborn bead, I think the heat generated from the constant wiggling makes the mandrel expand slightly. I usually find they can be coaxed off a little while later, mind you, WD40 sound like a far easier plan!  ;D
Web: http://www.veebeads.net
The UK home of Val Cox frit!!
Fritt Flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1647822@N25/

Trudi

Good old wd40 .....And dad!

Pat from Canvey

I can just imagine the phone call to your Dad or did you pay him a special visit?

Jay9

Here's a quote I read last week:

If it moves and shouldn't, use duct/gaffer tape. If it doesn't move and should, use WD40  ;D
Janine  xx

"You only retire when you stop doing something you don't like and start doing something you do"

Blue Box Studio

I haven't got a dad but I do have WD40.  We use it for everything - great for getting sticky stuff things, cheaper than the sticky stuff remover. 

http://www.wd40.com/uses-tips/

Sue
Website ~ Etsy ~ Blog ~ Flickr

Blue Kiln Beads

Dads are great aren't they!  ;D
Yvette Goodridge
www.bluekilnbeads.blogspot.com
www.bluekilnbeads.etsy.com

Lush!

Great quote Janine!  Pat, I paid Dad a visit but he wasn't home .. so I sat on his drive and started ringing round, mandrel in hand, eventually tracked him down and met up with him back at my  house (I'm sure that whatever he was doing wasn't nearly as important  :D)

Its for Making Jewellery, Issue 32, October  ;)

www.lushlampwork.etsy.com